Selling 2005 Z-71; buying newer [2017-2019] Tahoe/Yukon

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2591tdj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wife has been on me for a couple of years to upgrade to a newer model. I love my Z-71 and have had virtually no problems for 165k miles until the a/c went out on a trip this weekend. It’ll go in the shop tomorrow. I bought it new with every option available and recently put on new Michelin A/T2s. I have had virtually no other problems with it. It’s been a great vehicle but I’m finally starting to agree with my wife about replacing it. I’m looking to replace it with a 1-2 yr old low mileage Tahoe or Yukon 4wd.

What do I need to know about the 2017-2019 models? Any known issues or problems? Is one model year better/worse than another? Is there an AWD option rather than 4wd?

CMoore711

Full Access Member
Reaction score
165K and only “major” problem has been the A/C?!?! Hell even an A/C repair is cheaper than a newer Tahoe/Yukon.

If it were me I’d fix the A/C and ride that truck out to 200K. Then put yourself in a position to purchase a 2nd or 3rd year 2021/2022 Tahoe/Yukon.

Even if you experienced another repair between now and then that was around $2.5K +/- that’d still be the better route IMO.

You’ve already owned it for 14+ years; What’s another 2 years-ish?

All that being said, I thoroughly understand how wives can be incredibly influential.

z71hotness

Reaction score
I've seen the Z71 Tahoe 00-06 actually go up in value for clean ones...

I'd say keep it or is there a reason to get rid of it?

OP
OP

2591tdj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've seen the Z71 Tahoe 00-06 actually go up in value for clean ones...

I'd say keep it or is there a reason to get rid of it?

Not a bad idea. Sometimes I wish I had kept my 1997 4wd Tahoe when I bought this one as the trade in was less than the cost of a new ATV. We are retirement age and don’t need the expense, mostly insurance, of keeping a 3rd vehicle nor do we have space for one. I had mentioned it to my wife, who was against having a 3rd vehicle.

I’ll give it more thought. Thanks.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wife has been on me for a couple of years to upgrade to a newer model. I love my Z-71 and have had virtually no problems for 165k miles until the a/c went out on a trip this weekend. It’ll go in the shop tomorrow. I bought it new with every option available and recently put on new Michelin A/T2s. I have had virtually no other problems with it. It’s been a great vehicle but I’m finally starting to agree with my wife about replacing it. I’m looking to replace it with a 1-2 yr old low mileage Tahoe or Yukon 4wd.

What do I need to know about the 2017-2019 models? Any known issues or problems? Is one model year better/worse than another? Is there an AWD option rather than 4wd?

Retirement age and your wife wants you to buy a new truck and replace your 15 year old truck. Get the new one! It'll be like hopping into a '59 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz from a Model A Ford!

Miami-Dade

Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you plan on doing a lot of road trips [like I do] I would go for a 2017. I would also get the extended bumper to bumper warranty just in case [like I did] for piece of mind.

Make sure you get ALL service records and take the vehicle out on the highway for a good long test run.

I would also check the dealer service reviews before buying as a lot of people [even here] have had nightmare service but there is a sprinkling of good dealers around.

All this IMHO.

OP
OP

2591tdj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the great advice guys. It’s a tough decision for me (but not for the wife) and it’s a lot of $$.

She found a 2018 with very low mileage at a non-GM dealer that they reportedly took in on trade. We can pull a Carfax but probably can’t get service records unless a GM dealer would do it for us.

Thoughts

08HoeCD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the great advice guys. It’s a tough decision for me (but not for the wife) and it’s a lot of $$.

She found a 2018 with very low mileage at a non-GM dealer that they reportedly took in on trade. We can pull a Carfax but probably can’t get service records unless a GM dealer would do it for us.

Thoughts

2018 model year with low miles. Not much of a gamble there.

Miami-Dade

Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Thoughts

Buying from a non GM dealer concerns me. You will probably have to find a good GM dealer to service it as I for one would not be comfortable to let them even touch it.

With that said if you get all service records and get it checked out by a good independent mechanic you might be good.

I always figure if it is traded in at a non GM dealer it must have issues. If it were me I would pass.

But that is just me. To each their own.

cardude2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Retirement age and your wife wants you to buy a new truck and replace your 15 year old truck. Get the new one! It'll be like hopping into a '59 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz from a Model A Ford!

Unless he goes MRC with 22’s. then the ride will be worse than a model T’s