Selling 2005 Z-71; buying newer [2017-2019] Tahoe/Yukon

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the great advice guys. It’s a tough decision for me (but not for the wife) and it’s a lot of $$.

She found a 2018 with very low mileage at a non-GM dealer that they reportedly took in on trade. We can pull a Carfax but probably can’t get service records unless a GM dealer would do it for us.

Thoughts

@Galante

Thoughts Pete?

OP
OP

2591tdj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Galante

Thoughts Pete?
I passd the 2018 with very low mileage at a good price. Carfax reported that it was wrecked with moderate damage in April and that the non-GM dealer bought it at auction earlier this month. Not willing to pay that kind of $ for one that’s been wrecked. So, the hunt continues.

Had the a/c compressor replaced on the 2005 with a new one for $850. Repairman asked if I would consider selling Tahoe to him because it was in such great shape. I may keep it even if I do buy a newer one. Wife continues her on-line search for a replacement.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
Smart move to keep the OG ride after purchasing a new one. The value factor of a paid for, reliable vehicle really shows itself when a new stablemate comes home.

There seems to be a certain period that all newly acquired vehicles have when hidden deferred maint and concealed shoestring repairs show up. Allowing a CPO or Service Contract to fix them as they bubble is a PITA unless you have another vehicle to get around in. You’re also more apt not to allow a half assed repair to occur because your not over a barrel with a rental of loaner car.

It’ll shock the shit out of you if you go to eBay, purchase a new steering wheel, replacement for worn/broken control parts like knobs or controls in the dash. Having a pro detail the interior, then clay and polish your paid for ride means a potential upcoming sale will get top dollar PLUS. You’ll know if you just want to keep it to lower your Ins rates or lessen potential wear on the new ride.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

YukonXLMan

Reaction score
Retirement age and your wife wants you to buy a new truck and replace your 15 year old truck. Get the new one! It'll be like hopping into a '59 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz from a Model A Ford!
I sold my 2001 Yukon XL with 311000 miles on it and got a 2017 Yukon XL SLT 4 wheel drive. Absolutely worth it! Love the truck! Got it from a GMC dealer as a certified pre-owned vehicle. You pay significantly less than a new one, plus they upped the warranty to a hundred thousand miles on most items. I would absolutely repeat the purchase. That being said, they're still not cheap and being on a retirement budget should give you mood to pause. If you are taking really good care of your truck, which it sounds like, you've barely broken it in. Good luck with your decision.

Loibip2

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I passd the 2018 with very low mileage at a good price. Carfax reported that it was wrecked with moderate damage in April and that the non-GM dealer bought it at auction earlier this month. Not willing to pay that kind of $ for one that’s been wrecked. So, the hunt continues.

Had the a/c compressor replaced on the 2005 with a new one for $850. Repairman asked if I would consider selling Tahoe to him because it was in such great shape. I may keep it even if I do buy a newer one. Wife continues her on-line search for a replacement.

I'd call out that eff-in "non GM dealer" about the reportedly "traded in" Tahoe...private party FTW!

GTNator

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I sold my 2001 Yukon XL with 311000 miles on it and got a 2017 Yukon XL SLT 4 wheel drive. Absolutely worth it! Love the truck! Got it from a GMC dealer as a certified pre-owned vehicle. You pay significantly less than a new one, plus they upped the warranty to a hundred thousand miles on most items. I would absolutely repeat the purchase. That being said, they're still not cheap and being on a retirement budget should give you mood to pause. If you are taking really good care of your truck, which it sounds like, you've barely broken it in. Good luck with your decision.

300k miles, wow, love it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP

2591tdj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, she won. We now own a 2019 Z-71 Tahoe and the 2015 Z-71. This new one is nice! I did get OnStar messages that I need to take it in for service within 7 days due to malfunctioning anti-lock brakes and traction control. We’re on vacation so I’ll have to wait a few days.

YukonXLMan

Reaction score
Well, she won. We now own a 2019 Z-71 Tahoe and the 2015 Z-71. This new one is nice! I did get OnStar messages that I need to take it in for service within 7 days due to malfunctioning anti-lock brakes and traction control. We’re on vacation so I’ll have to wait a few days.
You can hit your OnStar button and request they run vehicle diagnostics on your new ride to see if any other items are showing up or if they can provide you any further detail. it just takes them a few moments and the results can be emailed to you.

YukoninTexas

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
We are in a similar boat with being in the process of purchasing a 2018 Yukon with just shy of 24k miles. It's from a non-GM dealer because it's Carvana. We are supposed to pick it up this week and we leave out on a road trip the following week. Anything we should look out for?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DefiantOne