seems to be a common problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jeremymik84

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
i have a 2001 tahoe LT with 5.3 no sunroof. my problem (and ive seen a ton of posts about this just the exact opposite) i have great ac up front but the rear only blows HOT air...ive seen posts where it only blows cold in the rear for some people, but i havent really seen a solution or a diagnosis... ive heard blend door actuator, and control module...i saw yesterday where you can pull the hvac1 fuse out (10a) and re install it after 1 minute to "reset" the system but that was a no go....any help is greatly appreciated!! thanks!

felixgun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had an 01 z71 Tahoe and it did the EXACT same thing... I never did get it fixed but it was pretty aggravating. The rear manual AC control just had a low to high adjustment (not the blue/red hot/cold dial).

OP
OP
J

jeremymik84

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
yea mines got the 1,2,3 power and adjustment from cold to hot and for overhead, feet and over or just feet vents lol

scottg918514

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, Im quickly becoming an expert on this issue. I have an 03 Tahoe LS (for sale btw) and a new to me 03 Tahoe Z71. My prob is front climate control, but similar enough to discuss here.

I bought truck on Tues, test drive fine, my through inspection, fine. On drive home, ticking noise from front. The next day the auto clim control decides to blow hot air at me on hot day. Turn off and start again, all fine, except ticking. I find an old tsb with the exact symptoms.

Today took it in to dealer to reprogram hvac. Still got ticking on way home, but havent had the hot air problem.

This issue is the blend door or the blend door actuator. For the front, this is under the glove box. I can feel the ticking when I touch the actuator. I'm going to the parts store tomorow to buy a new actuator.

Hopefully that fixes the problem, if not, I'll have the open the plenum cover and see if the door is acutally sticking (gears broken or something).

You guys are having issues with the rear blend door and/or door actuator. The door pivots to blend hot and cold air to get the correct mix. Yours appear to be stuck. You'll have go google the location of the rear blend door actuator to find it. I'd try replacing the actuator first.

Also, when my truck was in dealer today, he said my tsb was old and not in their system anymore, but he did have a tsb for the rear blend door. Check it out.

Good luck.

Mankind

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I had the same issue on my 05 Denali. The rear hot/cold trap door was actually broken. Actuator worked fine. I had to buy the whole box assembly just to take it apart so i could just replace the trap door. Once you remove your rear interior trim and have access to the system the actuator will be right in the middle of the box facing you. Remove it and turn the actuator shaft that is sticking out of the box under the actuator, you should be able to turn it using just two fingers. If it moves freely then cycle the hot to cold knob to see if the actuator is moving.

scottg918514

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Installed my new actuator today, so far good, ticking gone and cold air when I want it

OP
OP
J

jeremymik84

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
wondering if its my TXV or actuator.... scared to rip the trim off though as i just got the truck not even 24 hours ago

skyl3rm

Ahoy hoy
Reaction score
Mines opposite... HOT air up front... COLD air in the back... bah!!