Security light stays on while driving.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

denalianyone

NYBlackLade08
Reaction score
The Security light stays on while I'm driving. I read in the manual that the passlock system may be malfunctioning and I need to bring it in for service. Has anyone experienced anything like this b4. I have an aftermarket alarm system (Viper 5901). Thanks

chrias

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have the same issue but I just live with it. I have the Clifford RS 3.5 on my Suburban. I think it may be triggered every so often from the ignition bypass module.

nytahoe

"Tha Butcha"
Reaction score
its one of the bypass for the alrm going bad. dont rember what it in a g or an r

badtothe bone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ignoring a problem is only going to cause a bigger problem somewhere down the road.

I once bought a 1998 Chevy Malibu that had several owners and used a copy of a copy of a key. One day my brother was driving home and it quit on him and I had to unload the race car off the trailer and go and get him.

He thought that it was the fuel pump, since he had a car once that had a bad fuel pump and he threw a thousand dollars at it and couldn't figure it out. When someone told him to change the fuel pump and the problem went away, he always remembered that and blamed most problems on the fuel pump on his other vehicles.

Well we took the fuel pump out and we took the wiring harness out and we tore the dash apart and we took the computer out and we couldn't find the problem in the Malibu.

My very first advice was that if anyone has or had junk hanging off the key ring with the key's - that they need to get rid of all the junk on the key ring snf probably need to buy a new ignition cylinder.

The ignition cylinder will not take the weight of all the junk on the key ring and when it does not accept the key, the car will not run or will not run far.

We replaced the ignition cylinder and the car started right up and he had no more problems with it. We sold it to my sister about 5 years ago and she started having problems and we told her to go down and get the dealer to cut her a key from the vin number and since then she has not had any problems either.

With my 02 Avalanche, the problem was that the person who replaced the door window regulators - did not know what he was doing and was in a rush to do something wrong and did not connect the door lock switch properly behind the door panel and when the locks could not see the switch - the security light came on and all kinds of problems erupted.

I took the door panel apart and found the loose connection and fixed it myself and never had another problem after that.

Since then, I have repaired several other trucks with the same problem.

I would at least take to to a GM garage and have the BCM flashed and see if it shows some codes.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Demetris