Second Barn Door Doesn't Open

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nimrod.sixty9

Hold on, I got this.
Reaction score
As the the title states, the secondary door wont open. I have no resistance from the handle. Is there any way I can get the door open with the broken handle so I can fix? Anyone done this before?

scottg918514

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, from inside, pop the panel on the inside of the door, handle side. There should be a rod connected to the actuator, it may have come loose. You can just pull up on the actuator to release door. While there, use your key fob to lock/unlock, make sure the actuator is working.

I just replaced an actuator on my friends 99 Tahoe. But, it turns out the real issue was the contact pins/plate on the door. If you are having actuator issues, check the contact points at the top, outside corner of the door.

My friends wasn't getting good contact, so I took the plate off, put some washers underneath to raise it a bit and put it back on. After that, I put a bead of silicon around the plate, since now it is lifted away from the sheet metal.

OP
OP
nimrod.sixty9

nimrod.sixty9

Hold on, I got this.
Reaction score
Get in the rear, lay down comfortably and use the access panel on the inside to gain access to the latching mechanisms.

Access panel? Genius! I thought it would be hell having to pry the plastic frame while the door was still shut.

---------- Post added at 09:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:20 AM ----------

Yes, from inside, pop the panel on the inside of the door, handle side. There should be a rod connected to the actuator, it may have come loose. You can just pull up on the actuator to release door. While there, use your key fob to lock/unlock, make sure the actuator is working.

I just replaced an actuator on my friends 99 Tahoe. But, it turns out the real issue was the contact pins/plate on the door. If you are having actuator issues, check the contact points at the top, outside corner of the door.

My friends wasn't getting good contact, so I took the plate off, put some washers underneath to raise it a bit and put it back on. After that, I put a bead of silicon around the plate, since now it is lifted away from the sheet metal.

Deff not a prob with the actuator, but damned good idea to check it. I can tell it isnt locked, or is unrelated, as the handle has absolutely no reistance. That and its the second door.

Im certain the pins could use some cleaning. Ill prob sand up a bit or clean with something.

Thanks

Last edited:
OP
OP
nimrod.sixty9

nimrod.sixty9

Hold on, I got this.
Reaction score
Okay, got it off, and found out there is a post that pivots the rods. Well this post doesn't have anything to hold on the pivot. WTH is missing?

qukon 95

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Go to junk yard pocket item. It is a plastic connector that is broken look down in the door pieces should
Be there ,try Autozone in the help section it might be there to

---------- Post added at 01:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:28 PM ----------

Go to junk yard pocket item. It is a plastic connector that is broken look down in the door pieces should
Be there ,try Autozone in the help section it might be there to

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
Quin, stop double posting.

---------- Post added at 10:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:14 PM ----------

Quin, stop double posting.