Seafoaming specifics

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

destroyer1362

A work in progress
Reaction score
This isn't just another "How do I Seafoam" thread. I have done my homework on most of the subject but I still have some questions.. (1) When adding Seafoam to the crank case do I put it in when the motor is warm or cold? (2) how long do I leave it in for? Because I have heard some say no more then 5 minutes but then again I have heard someone else say you could leave it in for about 200 miles. (3) What your opinion on stalling the motor when sucking it in with the vac hose? A lot of people say to do this but cant the engine be damaged in doing so (hydro-lock)?

BOSS

The People's A D M I N
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i'm curious also...I have SF in my oil/gas right now. Never heard of stalling the motor though...what's that supposed to do exactly?

BOSS

AtomicHoe094

Atomichoe094
Reaction score
This isn't just another "How do I Seafoam" thread. I have done my homework on most of the subject but I still have some questions.. (1) When adding Seafoam to the crank case do I put it in when the motor is warm or cold? (2) how long do I leave it in for? Because I have heard some say no more then 5 minutes but then again I have heard someone else say you could leave it in for about 200 miles. (3) What your opinion on stalling the motor when sucking it in with the vac hose? A lot of people say to do this but cant the engine be damaged in doing so (hydro-lock)?

I added the SF to the oil after i did the whole SF run through with the brake booster. So that being said, anything is fine (temp wise).
I left my SF in there for about 1000 miles. if your motor is pretty gunked up, you should change it sooner u know.. also the next time you do your oil, change it at like 2000 miles.. this way its all getting out and efficiently.
I didnt let mine stall, it scared me. I kept my truck running until i was out of the SF into the booster. The idle would kick down really low, but i had my hand on the throttle....
After spending 20 bucks on this crap, i did everything i was supposed to, and didnt even get a smoke show :( which then again is really good. and the previous owner of my motor rebuilt it. so explains alot huh> lol

OP
OP
destroyer1362

destroyer1362

A work in progress
Reaction score
i'm curious also...I have SF in my oil/gas right now. Never heard of stalling the motor though...what's that supposed to do exactly?

BOSS

I think the theory behind it is, if you stall the motor with sf more of the stuff will be sitting in the cylinders and loosen up the carbon deposits during the 10 min wait before you restart the truck for the smoke show. Thats the only thing that makes some sense to me :hands:

hapyspaz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Never done the SF, but have used similar products. My current one I use is from Lucas.

My favorite that I have used in the past was actually a pressurized can that you tied into the fuel line after the fuel filter. Pull the fuel pump relay and let the engine run off the solution until it dies (runs out of "gas").

Curious what you guys are using to run the SF into your vacuum line. I actually made a controlled drip setup, I will take pictures of it soon and post it here.

AtomicHoe094

Atomichoe094
Reaction score
i just hold my thumb over the SF can and hold the throttle and BB tube with the other hand, slowly pouring it in.. lol

CodeB4U

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just seamfoamed the SS wed. It was fun. Everyone would come around...."are you fogging for mosquito's?"

TahoeGoBoom

blue interior guy
Reaction score
I cut up an old bottle, worked great. i wont put the stuff in my crank case tho. the hoe didnt smoke for more than about a minute, and i only got 1 good puff. the honda on the other hand looked like this for about 5 minutes, and smoked lightly for another 25 minutes. lol.

IMG_0681edit.jpg

Last edited:

96ProCompTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thats about what the camaro looked like. haha was even better on the "spirited" drive up the highway.

i used the write up that was on TF.