Safe to tint windshield 2021 Tahoe?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jeffbco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Would be nice but he applys it so I can’t take it off and put it on another car
In Texas the sticker has the tag number and the VIN. SO yes you could move it from one windshield to another but why - it won’t match the car.

Tonyv__

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In Texas the sticker has the tag number and the VIN. SO yes you could move it from one windshield to another but why - it won’t match the car.
I didn’t necessarily mean that I would do that. He just does it to cover his butt.

Idk how hard it is to pass inspections in Texas but in PA there’s a huge market for fake/stolen stickers because of the amount of illegal and unroadworthy POS vehicles on the road…. Fake stickers fade in the sun and are noticeably fake. Stolen ones are the ideal ones to get. You’ll almost never ever have a police officer look at the vin number of the sticker. So having an illegal sticker is better than not having one at all.

CASTLEDFW15

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had my windshield done at 70%….some tint shops market as a……..”Clear UV protective film”…..might be a loophole to get around the no windshield tint in some states. No change in forward vision and does not affect the HUD image.

My 21 has 30% all side and rear windows including moonroof glass. TX allows 25% driver/front passenger but not all shops carry that. Next level down is 20% which is technically illegal but not overly obvious especially to passing LEO’s. You could get hassled if they stop you for other reason…equipment violation, expires registration etc…..

The 30% blends in well with the Midnight Blue paint…..the standout is the Excessive Chrome….at least in my opinion. A Black or dark grey accented grille and mirror caps would blend in better.

All external glass except windshield 30%

Windshield 70%…..Clear UV Protective film.

Windshield also has a Limo (5%) on the eyebrow about 5” down from roof.

Pay attention to the AS-1 Line…..that is written in just about every states tint laws. Basically a standard reference line for forward window tint….most laws reference this line as in….

At or above the AS-1 Line. Some may say to the AS-1 Line but some say a specific measurement as in 6” from roof etc…

The other scenario is combination of both….. as in “5 inches from roof OR AS-1 Line….and the key phrase is…..”Whichever is LOWER”.

With that said I have no problem.

I could probably risk 20% and not even give a second glance but I want to have a uniform look.

Long story short is check state laws… I have not heard of any state allowing less than 70% for windshield. If you go below that your risk. Remember this forum is not going to court with you and if they do….probably a…”I Told you so” moment.

Also remember if you have darker than legal especially way darker and an accident happens the other side will have a field day with you in the court room and call experts to testify that the darker windshield reduced your visibility and reaction time…….could even go both ways…..your darker tint on the windshield reduced your reaction time. If someone hits you then they could argue that your exceptionally dark rear glass reduced your visibility and reaction time to accelerate away from the other vehicle…..

Your call but I personally would not go to dark on the front glass….especially windshield. You could be asking for trouble especially with one horse towns.

Two options if you get stopped either fill citation or……..”Fix It” citation which may or not be dismissed after the illegal tint is removed…..if you get a fine whether full or fix it you also have to pay for the tint shop to remove.

Good luck!

BrokerThis

'22 Denali Dmax
Reaction score
@CASTLEDFW15 you able to post a couple pics of how yours looks? Going with midnight blue as well, whenever my order gets picked up, and typically do 5-15% in the rears then 20 or 50% on the front two depending on the vehicle.

I haven't done any windshields since I had a cavalier with 20% and that was always one of the reasons that I got pulled over and ticketed for my tints 15 years ago living in Michigan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cbrpilot2