Route wires from cabin to exterior

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I need to wire up a couple things first being a backup camera for my 2001 Tahoe. I'm trying to figure out if there's a convenient spot to poke the wires through the cabin and out by the rear bumper? A factory spot where wires go through the body itself?

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I need to wire up a couple things first being a backup camera for my 2001 Tahoe. I'm trying to figure out if there's a convenient spot to poke the wires through the cabin and out by the rear bumper? A factory spot where wires go through the body itself?
you might try taking off one of the rear brakelight housings and see if there is a spot to go thru to the interior or vica-versa, there is on my 2012, then you can just drop the wire down behind the light housing.

OP
OP
Matthew Jeschke

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Awesoooooome, I will have to take a look there super helpful. I need to get that cable routed soon :)

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

wildcatgoal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wired my backup camera mounted to license plate by routing wire from behind plate to driver side tail light, remove tail light, look up and you'll see the cabin vent. Remove interior panel adjacent, run wire through vent, now you're in the cabin no harm no foul.

Can just drill a hole behind the tail light, too. Just gasket and silicon it... and paint the metal. Will be fine.

OP
OP
Matthew Jeschke

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wired my backup camera mounted to license plate by routing wire from behind plate to driver side tail light, remove tail light, look up and you'll see the cabin vent. Remove interior panel adjacent, run wire through vent, now you're in the cabin no harm no foul.

Can just drill a hole behind the tail light, too. Just gasket and silicon it... and paint the metal. Will be fine.
that is genious, I dont know ehy I didnt think of that :|

David Staines

Reaction score
I'm in the process of doing this myself and decided to bump this thread vs start a new one since it has very good info.

Has anyone tried to use the wireless camera setups such as the GOQOTOMO E600 5.8G Wireless system? It looks like it could work for my 2005 Tahoe if I use the reverse signal off of the nav bundle to trigger reverse screen for the Sony XAV-AX5000 I just installed. My biggest worry is how weatherproof this device would need to be if mounted behind the driver's side tail light. I'd really like to not have to route the cable through the vehicle.

Last edited:

David Staines

Reaction score
I was able to route the cable through the vent as suggested above with about 6" of cable to spare at the end. I did not have to connect the red wire in the cable to the backup 12v. I was able to get it off of the NAV bundle in the PAC RP5-GM11 wiring interface. This might be something that only works for vehicles with the BOSE system... I don't know.

OP
OP
Matthew Jeschke

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is a reverse signal wire up on the rear view mirror. At least in a 2001. You might be able to trace that down to the driver side foot well somewhere. Not sure if it goes into the cove for the head unit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jmiller727