rough idle cold mornings

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tah03

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
In Texas and the last couple of times the weather has been lower than 50 degrees in the morning my girl has had a rough idle. Just at idle, she runs just fine as I drive and after the engine warms up, she stops having issues. 5.3 2003 tahoe.

08grey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check each exhaust manifold bolt. See if any broke the nut off.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
With no check engine lights? Sounds like the intake manifold leaks and as warms up and the leak seals itself the rough idle goes away? If so then it is the typical intake leak. FELPRO gaskets and do the AC Delco knock sensors when in there.

OP
OP
T

tah03

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Really odd as the temperature dropped the last few days, the idle has been okay, but now my info center says battery not charging. What the hell? Truck has run fine till now that the weather has dropped

thechevyman

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I had the same issue with rough idle on a cold start but the temp here in Indiana was around 9.

I pulled the throttle body and cleaned it up. Solved my problem.

Hint:
On the computer controlled throttle bodies, do not open the butterfly manually. This will mess up calibration with the computer. Pull the throttle body and clean both sides the best you can with out moveing the butterfly. Then, after installed, turn the key but don't start the truck. Have a helper hold down the accelerator and the finish cleaing the areas you couldnt get to.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SmithMO