Rooftop Tent for 2012 Hoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
D

DRKN57

Reaction score
I removed second and third row seat and installed a platform in mine. By the way I am 63years old...

This is the 270 with just one side wall and the wall is extended for more shade. You can see my bed in the back folded in half. If you really want more head room and get rid of the seats you will be able to have a lot more head room.

View attachment 252966

With the side walls it will give you a lot of room. We actually had a campfire inside it that night. The awning only takes about 2 minutes to set up and about 15 minutes to set up the side walls and stake them out.

View attachment 252967

We store most of our gear under the deck when camping.
View attachment 252968
All great points, thank you! I have so many questions but will start with this: if you’re sleeping inside the vehicle and it’s raining, do you still crack the windows? What’s your routine for getting airflow? Also, always wondered if it was dead of winter and super cold (or I guess summer/heat) is it safe to leave the truck running and heat (or AC) going over night while sleeping?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Matt_

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All great points, thank you! I have so many questions but will start with this: if you’re sleeping inside the vehicle and it’s raining, do you still crack the windows? What’s your routine for getting airflow?

One thing I was thinking, with the 270 awning you can have the windows open on the side with the awning, as well as the back hatch and have plenty of airflow, while still being protected from the rain. Battery powered camping fans can also help.

It got colder than expected the last time I used the truck to camp in. I started the truck once during the night to run the heat for about 5 minutes and that was all we needed to make it comfortable all night. I wouldn't leave it running while sleeping, not really necessary.

I just need to measure the sleeping distance behind the 2nd row with it flipped up/forward. Removing the 3rd row is easy... so if there's enough room, I may pull the trigger on this awning. It's a win-win since it is still very useful if I end up getting a RTT, and I can use it at my mtb races for shade/changing/etc.

Tozan

Overlander
Reaction score
All great points, thank you! I have so many questions but will start with this: if you’re sleeping inside the vehicle and it’s raining, do you still crack the windows? What’s your routine for getting airflow? Also, always wondered if it was dead of winter and super cold (or I guess summer/heat) is it safe to leave the truck running and heat (or AC) going over night while sleeping?

For rain I have window ventvisors so you can open them at least 3 inches without any rain getting in. I always keep the front side windows open at least an inch in winter and whatever is comfortable in summer (I also have homemade bug screens) Summer it might be 98 degrees today but it drops into the 70's or even lower at nite. If it gets hotter than that I normally stay home or head up into the mountains.

Winter camping, sleeping inside is still warmer than sleeping in a tent... But, I have 10mm thick insulation in all the doors and roof and my windows also have an inch of insulation except for the top 3 inches of the front windows. (see my build) I would not leave the motor running over night but, I have been guilty when temps dropped into single digits to turn on a small little buddy heater for a little while to warm things up.

I have been thinking of getting a diesel heater that runs outside and I will plumb it to blow fresh warm air in one of the windows and leave one window cracked for the stale air to go out.

Feel free to ask questions and check out my build threads.

I have one on this site the link is in my signature below.

A more complete build thread is on the Overland Bound site

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

DRKN57

Reaction score
For rain I have window ventvisors so you can open them at least 3 inches without any rain getting in. I always keep the front side windows open at least an in in winter and whatever is comfortable in summer (I also have homemade bug screens) Summer it might be 98 degrees today but it drops into the 70's or even lower at nite. If it gets hotter than that I normally stay home or head up into the mountains.

Winter camping, sleeping inside is still warmer than sleeping in a tent... But, I have 10mm thick insulation in all the doors and roof and my windows also have an inch of insulation except for the top 3 inches of the front windows. (see my build) I would not leave the motor running over night but, I have been guilty when temps dropped into single digits to turn on a small little buddy heater for a little while to warm things up.

I have been thinking of getting a diesel heater that runs outside and I will plumb it to blow fresh warm air in one of the windows and leave one window cracked for the stale air to go out.

Feel free to ask questions and check out my build threads.

I have one on this site the link is in my signature below.

A more complete build thread is on the Overland Bound site
Wow, thank you so much for all this info. Custom made big screens and insulation in doors and roof is very creative! So glad I found you! I’ll checkout your build threads. Thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645