Roof Rack Replacement Key

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AliBaba

Reaction score
Not to drudge up an old thread.

Has anyone been able to remove the lock core and replace it with something else? I'm curious what brand the lock is and if that's an option. The fact that GM only has 9 keys, anyone can go buy all 9 for $100 and it's printed on the outside bugs me a little bit.

Last edited:

BlaineBug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not to drudge up an old thread.

Has anyone been able to remove the lock core and replace it with something else? I'm curious what brand the lock is and if that's an option. The fact that GM only has 9 keys, anyone can go buy all 9 for $100 and it's printed on the outside bugs me a little bit.
Catalytic converters are a lot more worthwhile for a thief rather than stealing roof rack crossbars. I haven't heard of that kind of crime yet.

BlaineBug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It all depends on what’s locked to your rack and how much you value it
I suppose if you had a cargo box mounted to the crossbars filled with gold bullion. Although breaking into a plastic box still sounds like less of a pain!

R32driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1/8” drill bit on a cordless drill and a flat blade screwdriver is just as effective as using a key on 90% of the locks (any type of lock) out there so honestly nothing is safe. I worked at a lock shop for 8 years and know for a fact that locks only keep honest people out

BlaineBug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1/8” drill bit on a cordless drill and a flat blade screwdriver is just as effective as using a key on 90% of the locks (any type of lock) out there so honestly nothing is safe. I worked at a lock shop for 8 years and know for a fact that locks only keep honest people out
That is true. A good kick or a shove can defeat all homeowner locks. But some thieves prefer a less than destructive entry method too.

Jigitz

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Does anyone know who makes the roof rack? I just had the key get stuck in mine and in twisting it and turning it I broke the key off. I will likley need a new lock core. Anyone have any idea who makes it? I can't seem to find any lock cores online that look similar to the one on the bars.

AliBaba

Reaction score
Does anyone know who makes the roof rack? I just had the key get stuck in mine and in twisting it and turning it I broke the key off. I will likley need a new lock core. Anyone have any idea who makes it? I can't seem to find any lock cores online that look similar to the one on the bars.
I have had zero luck. Looks to be a proprietary lock core. I was on the path of trying to change it out to either Thule or Yakima with no luck.

My only other option is to sell them to someone who does not care about multiple keys and I’ll grab a set from one of the big companies.

Jigitz

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have had zero luck. Looks to be a proprietary lock core. I was on the path of trying to change it out to either Thule or Yakima with no luck.

My only other option is to sell them to someone who does not care about multiple keys and I’ll grab a set from one of the big companies.

Thanks. Sucks. I am scheduled for a service appointment tomorrow so I am going to ask the service department too. I may just need to buy new bars.

I am going on a long road trip Tuesday and was putting these back on and the key broke off as I got extremely frustrated and couldn't get the key out for over an hour. Now I can clamp them on but the lock doesn't work. I am concerned about the bars staying put without the lock functioning.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Banjomatic