Road Trip Tuning?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Fubar0715

Fubar0715

Scott
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not sure if we will travel for tune events anymore. Justin (the tuner) with his schedule workload and everything else, we have not had a tune event in over a couple of years now. Of course if we decide to do them again you guys will be the first to know.
Was trying to avoid the mail in tune but looks like I will be stuck doing it that way. Keep us posted!

OP
OP
Fubar0715

Fubar0715

Scott
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a completely stock SUV but think a tune would be helpful long term. Looking at the options for a tune, would I be best served to call and talk to someone there or should I just look at the traditional tune? Would a cable tune be better?? Lots of questions apparentl

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a completely stock SUV but think a tune would be helpful long term. Looking at the options for a tune, would I be best served to call and talk to someone there or should I just look at the traditional tune? Would a cable tune be better?? Lots of questions apparentl
Call @BlackBearPerf and have a conversation with them. The remote-style tune process is easy, and, IMO, it is the best performance mod that you can make for the money. And, the ability to obtain subsequent tunes for free for the life of your truck, in the event that you do other mods in the future (as simple as a new rim/tire combination that requires an adjustment to re-synch the speedometer and odometer) is huge.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine is completely stock save for replacement cats and y-pipe and has been tuned by Justin. We talked about my expectations and plans and he adjusted the tune accordingly. The best part for me is in how the transmission performed afterwards, a night and day difference. The tune also unleashed pent up horsepower, the truck now makes 307 rear wheel horsepower through the traps in the quarter mile at the drag strip.

The cable method may not be any more beneficial. When you do a data log, you make 3 or 4 full throttle pulls from a stop or low speed (such as on-ramp) and also drive it around as you normally would for about a half hour or so. Then send that to Justin, he analyzes it and along with your desires customizes the tune to your needs.

OP
OP
Fubar0715

Fubar0715

Scott
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I feel like there is power to be had still in the motor but its not my primary concern. I find the 6 speed falls and stutters at lower speeds. Maybe its my imagination since I moved up from the 4 speed variant. I feel like TCM changes would be the most noticeable in my daily driving.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The TCM change resulting from the tune is VERY noticeable.

Also, Black Bear Performance just informed me that they no longer do free tune updates for existing customers of over 1 year from their original tune. However, a tune update can be purchased for a nominal charge. Unfortunately, good things don't last forever.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wilburMN