Rim rot. Wheel coating issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure of the right thread, so posted as general.

I'd like discuss wheel rim rot (aka salt corrosion on wheels)

I've had good luck over the years of staying on top of corrosion here in WI. I consider myself a pro.....not to toot my horn too loud. After many years of fighting it on customer vehicles I came up with plan and it had worked well so far.

My questions are as follows

1. Have people noticed between the painted and machined/polished finishes like me?
2. Seems as though the machined/polished finishes get more spiderweb type corrosion over the years.
3. I've run the GM painted finish wheels (18&22) now in the salt with less issues
4. It seems as if when the wheels have a painted factory finish they aren't as susceptible to the salt.

1. 2017 Denali 22 inch wheels with stone chips- no issues.
2. GM aftermarket 18 inch painted wheels with stone chips (overlanding), no issues
3. Factory 20 inch 2008 Denali wheels left with salt on them for 3 weeks and started to have flaking behind the spokes (CA truck, neve salt) . Pissed me off royally. Literally their first time in corrosive life and they gave up the ghost.

Makes me think that a painted finish is the best. Plus the 2 tone looks good, but I'm a fan of a nice polished wheel.

Thoughts? Experiences?

tom3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm a big proponent of winter wheels and tires here in the snow belt. Preserve the good wheels that way. Maybe not too practical with today's TPMS programming hassle? But the dedicated winter tires are a real comfort when it get real nasty out and I have to get to work.

gasser

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
t's great that you've taken a proactive approach to combat wheel rim corrosion, especially given the challenges posed by salt exposure in your region. Your experience and insights are valuable, and it's clear that you've developed a solid plan to address this issue effectively.

1. Yes, the distinction between painted and machined/polished finishes is noticeable to many, and it's interesting to hear that you've observed differences in corrosion between the two types.
  2. The observation of machined/polished finishes developing more spiderweb type corrosion over time is intriguing. It might be related to the specific characteristics of those finishes or the materials used.
  3. Your success with GM painted finish wheels, even in salt-prone conditions, is a testament to the effectiveness of that choice.
  4. The hypothesis that factory painted finishes are less susceptible to salt corrosion makes sense, as they are likely designed and tested to withstand various environmental conditions.
Your specific examples of various wheel types and their performance under salt exposure provide valuable real-world data. Your frustration with the flaking on the 2008 Denali wheels is understandable, given the unique circumstances.

Choosing a painted finish for its potential durability and aesthetic appeal seems like a sound strategy. The two-tone look is certainly attractive, but the benefits of a well-maintained painted finish might outweigh the visual appeal in the long run.

In summary, your insights and experiences offer a valuable perspective on wheel rim corrosion and the impact of different finishes. It's clear that you've put thought and effort into finding solutions, and your observations could help others make informed decisions when it comes to choosing wheel finishes in salt-prone areas. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and experiences with the community!
Not sure of the right thread, so posted as general.

I'd like discuss wheel rim rot (aka salt corrosion on wheels)

I've had good luck over the years of staying on top of corrosion here in WI. I consider myself a pro.....not to toot my horn too loud. After many years of fighting it on customer vehicles I came up with plan and it had worked well so far.

My questions are as follows

1. Have people noticed between the painted and machined/polished finishes like me?
2. Seems as though the machined/polished finishes get more spiderweb type corrosion over the years.
3. I've run the GM painted finish wheels (18&22) now in the salt with less issues

4. It seems as if when the wheels have a painted factory finish they aren't as susceptible to the salt.

Thoughts? Experiences?

Last edited: