Retrofit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2016xl

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
well I'm getting antsy with these headlights and from what I see,for the cost of those led headlights from xb i could probably get a retrofit going and get the same if not better output and look good doing it.question is has anyone heard of someone doing the swap?.any computer related issues to change wiring?etc?

mbp1979

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm working on a set myself now waiting on my bezels to get back from the painter's. So I'll know in the next couple days once I start working on them.

CMoore711

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@2016xl and @mbp1979 - Any update on this?

mbp what platform do you have? Escalade, Yukon, or Tahoe.

I realize this is an old thread to bump up, but along the same topic.

Most of the headlight projector retrofit threads on the site are specific the the '07-'14 model years.

I have a 2015 Yukon XL Denali and have been looking into this quite a bit. The stock 2015 Yukon XL Denali is a 3" dia. D3S HID projector. That's all I can tell without opening up the headlight. But I would think a simple project upgrade would be quite easy. No reason for shrouds or too much cutting if you can get an upgraded projector that mounts with the same bolt pattern as the stock OEM projector.

Has anyone opened up one of their headlights to see what the low beam projector mounting bolt pattern is? I would assume GM used the same low beam projector across the Tahoe/Yukon platform. Confirming this would lead to a shorter list of projectors with the same mounting bolt pattern and could make this upgrade pretty easy.

@cmatt I know you've got some headlight swapping wiring harness upgrade experience. Have you ever had an OEM headlight opened up and confirming the projector mounting bolt pattern?

Trying to find some guidance or experience from others before I just pull the trigger on an OEM headlight and open it up.

I've upgraded my OEM HID low beam bulbs to OSRAM CBI D3S bulbs, but it's not enough. The light output sucks and I depend on my LED fog lights to make up the difference. That should not be the case.

Tiki

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can the non HID equipped projectors accept aftermarket HID projectors? I assume they are the same projector.

CMoore711

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can the non HID equipped projectors accept aftermarket HID projectors? I assume they are the same projector.

Yes; Unlike Halogen reflector headlights projectors are mounted into the headlight with a sort of flange and bolt pattern regardless if they are HID or Halogen projectors.

Here's an example of the way a projector mounts:
OeyyTML.jpg

I've been trying to find out if anyone has opened up a '15-'20 Yukon headlight to confirm the mounting bolt pattern of the stock projector. Knowing GM; I would even go as far as saying that the same halogen projector is used across all '15-'20 SUV/Truck platforms, same for the HID projector. And I bet the only change between the '15-'20 HID vs. halogen projector is the actual bulb socket connection at the back of the projector.

There's only a few different bolt patterns that projectors use and if we knew what bolt pattern the OEM projector is it would really help narrow down which upgraded projector would be a simple remove crappy OEM and replace with upgraded projector type retrofit. Essentially with no cutting or much modification. At that point the most complicated step of the whole process would in fact be just opening and re-sealing the headlight assembly.

Tiki

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes; Unlike Halogen reflector headlights projectors are mounted into the headlight with a sort of flange and bolt pattern regardless if they are HID or Halogen projectors.

Here's an example of the way a projector mounts:
View attachment 362881

I've been trying to find out if anyone has opened up a '15-'20 Yukon headlight to confirm the mounting bolt pattern of the stock projector. Knowing GM; I would even go as far as saying that the same halogen projector is used across all '15-'20 SUV/Truck platforms, same for the HID projector. And I bet the only change between the '15-'20 HID vs. halogen projector is the actual bulb socket connection at the back of the projector.

There's only a few different bolt patterns that projectors use and if we knew what bolt pattern the OEM projector is it would really help narrow down which upgraded projector would be a simple remove crappy OEM and replace with upgraded projector type retrofit. Essentially with no cutting or much modification. At that point the most complicated step of the whole process would in fact be just opening and re-sealing the headlight assembly.

That was my assumption and like you was hoping for an easy upgrade.

CMoore711

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I've been trying to search and search on this.

It seems there are some common projector upgrade packages for the K2XX Silverado's and Sierras and some vendors that make mounting bracket conversion "plates" to make projector retrofits easier on certain GM SUV/Truck headlights. Some projector swap/upgrade kits that are actually doable without even opening up the headlight!

This video here is a couple years old, but you get the idea and can see how much room from the back with the headlight cap removed there is to work with on the K2XX Sierra and Silverado headlights:

Other than the brackets to convert the bolt pattern it seems pretty straight forward. Especially like the idea of not having to open up the headlight.

Reviewing the back of a K2XX Yukon headlight, the opening for the low beam projector seems a bit smaller. I'm not so sure the same projector swap/upgrade would be doable without opening up the headlight? The project may be too large to come out of that back opening and the new one may be too large to go back inside.

This is the back of a non-Denali Yukon Halogen low beam projector headlight

dEDwXPr.jpg

I did purchase a broken "for parts only" Yukon OEM halogen headlight off eBay to play around with. My original intent was to bake it and open it up to see what the mounting bolt pattern was for the OEM projector to see what Bi-LED or Bi-Xenon projector would be the easiest swap.

But then I found the video above and got a glimmer of hope that maybe an upgrade could be achieved without even opening the head light.

More to come...

Tiki

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Super excited, I need all the lights now, putting in a lot of remote highway time.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WhiteHorseBFD792