Replacing the suspension with over 100k on it.. What's needed?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Juniorss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm looking to replace the suspension in my Tahoe which now has over 100k miles on it. The dealership replaced the lower ball joints not too long ago but now I'm looking for stock height replacement parts for struts/shocks/springs.

As far as the struts and shocks go, I'm going to go with Bilstein 4600s all the way around.

For the springs, im leaning towards a set of oem springs (if anyone is interested in selling a set of low mileage take offs PM me). However, what other options are out there for an oem height spring?

Lastly, what else should I replace in the strut assembly? I don't want to pull my struts apart and then realize that there was something I should of replaced. Right now im thinking about ordering a new set of bump stops because they are cheap. Do I need to replace the mount or is it something that doesn't wear (I haven't looked closely at it yet to see if it was just a metal mount or some type of rubber so I figured you guys would know). What about the seat (#15 on the diagram below) or the upper and lower isolator (# 12 and 13)?

GC07345_zps21de1bd7.gif

yates ™

Resident Apple hater
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I might still have a pair of front oem springs you can have for the price of shipping, I think they have like 60k on em.

08grey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Upper controll arms complete oem I think are only 95 bucks on rock auto.

OP
OP
J

Juniorss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I might still have a pair of front oem springs you can have for the price of shipping, I think they have like 60k on em.

Thanks for the offer but I am looking for something with low miles. I figure if I put in low mileage or new ones, I will be good for another 100k

Upper controll arms complete oem I think are only 95 bucks on rock auto.

I was thinking about that as well. I might just get them done while I am replacing the struts/springs.

OP
OP
J

Juniorss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok guys heres my dilemma. I ordered a pair of acdelco replacement springs off amazon. Well the front set that came in were clearly on a truck for a while because they are beat up looking, so those are going back. Amazon is 3-5 weeks out on a replacement set. So does anyone know of a company besides ACdelco that makes an oem height replacement spring? I really don't want to mix and match springs so it would have to be both a front and rear set.

shundal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Moog makes factory replacement suspension parts. They have front and rear springs.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

Juniorss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They make 4wd fronts but only 2wd rears. Not sure if there is a difference with the 4wd or 2wd rears but they only have rwd listed for the rears.

Blazed

Accepting Donations
Reaction score
Ok guys heres my dilemma. I ordered a pair of acdelco replacement springs off amazon. Well the front set that came in were clearly on a truck for a while because they are beat up looking, so those are going back. Amazon is 3-5 weeks out on a replacement set. So does anyone know of a company besides ACdelco that makes an oem height replacement spring? I really don't want to mix and match springs so it would have to be both a front and rear set.

On eBay they sell an entire assembly with strut and spring. The strut is trash but I'm sure the spring can't be too bad.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bullyfiberchick

Latest posts