Replacing and conditioning weatherstrip

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Maxxarcade

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I recently got a replacement weatherstrip for my 2011 Tahoe SSV driver's door, because it was split along the bottom where people step on it.

Before I install it, do I need to put silicone grease into the channel that locks onto the body flange?

Also regarding the silicone, I've heard that plain old dielectric silicone grease works well for conditioning the rubber. However the tube of Permatex #22058 I have does not list weatherstripping as an application. Do I need to get something different, such as the Super Lube branded stuff, or maybe some 303 rubber protectant?

I've been dealing with water getting on the driver's side floor pan, and I hope the door seal will help. It's been coming from multiple sources, but I think the worst of it was probably the poorly sealed hole where the pillar-mounted spotlight used to be.

The outer door seal that runs along the roof also seems to get water under the edge of it, but I'm not sure if it's contributing to the leaks. I would have ordered one of those too, but they are pretty expensive for the OEM part.

mattjones

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I recently got a replacement weatherstrip for my 2011 Tahoe SSV driver's door, because it was split along the bottom where people step on it.

Before I install it, do I need to put silicone grease into the channel that locks onto the body flange?

Also regarding the silicone, I've heard that plain old dielectric silicone grease works well for conditioning the rubber. However the tube of Permatex #22058 I have does not list weatherstripping as an application. Do I need to get something different, such as the Super Lube branded stuff, or maybe some 303 rubber protectant?

I've been dealing with water getting on the driver's side floor pan, and I hope the door seal will help. It's been coming from multiple sources, but I think the worst of it was probably the poorly sealed hole where the pillar-mounted spotlight used to be.

The outer door seal that runs along the roof also seems to get water under the edge of it, but I'm not sure if it's contributing to the leaks. I would have ordered one of those too, but they are pretty expensive for the OEM part.

Where did you get the weatherstrip and how much did it cost? Mine is wearing out as well

OP
OP
M

Maxxarcade

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Where did you get the weatherstrip and how much did it cost? Mine is wearing out as well

Here's the one I used.
https://www.gmpartscenter.net/oem-parts/gm-weatherstrip-asm-frt-s-d-22766409

I still have water getting in to the driver's side floor pan, and it appears to be getting around the outer weather strip along the roof. Water is sitting on the top of the door when I open it, and it also runs out of the inner seal through the little drain holes in the rubber. Too bad that outer seal is more expensive.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchievu