Replacing all steel brake lines

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sawallna

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
bought my 95 tahoe 4x4 about 2 months ago, got it pretty cheap cuz everything on it is rusty, so far ive replaced the entire front suspension and added a 6 inch lift to it. next on my list is replacing all the steel lines because they are all completely rusted and i just want em replaced before they start givin out. not seeing a complete kit anywhere so im sure i have to buy all the lines individually. been lookin through both hanes and chilton and i cant find the length of all the lines anywhere. i dont wanna have to take it apart to figure it out, cuz im sure most of em would break while im removing them anyways, and it would be nice to reinstall them as they come off. so if anyone knows the length and size of all the lines that would be greatly appreciated

Freedom Motorsports

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The easiest way to do it would be to go ahead and get your best measurement on how much line you need, buy stock line and a tubing bender and flare tool for the ends and build them yourself, it is fairly easy to do.

If you would like I can attempt to find you a replacement kit if you will message me with your VIN so I make sure and get exactly what you need.

Freedom Motorsports

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did some checking on this for you and here is what I have come up with, I double checked dealer pricing and aftermarket pricing and availability, and the best bang for the buck is going to be to purchase one roll of 3/16in line and one roll of 1/4in line.

You can purchase a 25ft roll of 3/16in AGS Zinc Plated line as a kit with the fittings you will need for $26.39 and the same in 1/4in for $26.99 from JCWhitney.com. That should include everything you will need as far as lines. However, you will have to bend at least some of the lines. The only lines that are really available prebent for your truck are right and left hand front brake lines and the one frame mounted rear line. Those being the twisty one up front and the other one right beside it for the front and the line that runs the length of the frame on the driver side, but it may also not be prebent, the other prebent lines leading to the back, etc are no longer available.

If you wanted those lines then you are looking for GM part #'s 15711815, 15711835, and 15711830. Check the prices at your dealer but they should be an approximate total of $105 or so retail total at the dealer.

Once you have the lines, when it comes time to bend, cut, and flare them, go check out Autozone's loan a tool and see if they have the tools you need to do the job that you can borrow. You will have to pay for them and be refunded the cost when you bring them back but you are not stuck with them if you never plan on doing brake lines again.

I truly believe this is your best option overall, I hope this helps you get an idea of what is needed.

OP
OP
S

sawallna

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
got those 2 26 dollar kits, should be here tomorrow, gonna try to sham outta work tomorrow so i can get em installed by the weekend, had some ss lines on order but after i ordered em i got an email sayin it would take 2 weeks to make and ship instead of the origional 3 day shipping as stated on the website so i canceled that, once my bank quits holding the money, or payday wednesday, i will be re-orderin from somewhere else. be doin my rear axle gear too, goin to 4.56 for the 35's im gettin after my brakes are good

jrsavoie

Reaction score
Is it possible to find a schematic that shows the brake lines?

I would like a schematic pictures of the 2 brake lines that run from front to rear on my 1995 Tahoe.
When I search the picture of my rear fuel line - GM Part number 15722287 - It showed a little of the rear brake line that goes to the rear differential flex hose. Next to part number 12 In this picture. http://www.tonkinonlineparts.com/showAssembly.aspx?ukey_product=6142677&ukey_assembly=839607
This would be one of the 2 lines I would like a rough schematic picture of.

Last edited:

jrsavoie

Reaction score
why dont you search for the brake line instead of fuel line? it does show them.

Tried that for a while and didn't find any schematics. I was told by 2 GM dealerships parts guys that the schematics did not show the brake lines.

I was told by 2 places that make braKE LINES THAT THE SCHEMATICS DID NOT show the brake lines.

I knew the schematics did show the brake lines because I have seen them before. I just suck at searching and it takes me forever to stumble across what I am looking for, even when I have a half idea where it is.

By searching for the fuel line part number that I had, at least I found pictures in the neighborhood.

Further searching of the part number brought me to Nalley's website & this schematic
http://parts.nalleygmc.com/showAsse...=1995&ukey_category=19393&ukey_driveLine=6246

Which worked for what I needed.

If you had a link to something similar, why didn't you share it? If not then why did you bother to post?

Everybody is better at some things than others. I suck at searching. But have you ever done a bend test on a 22 ga, stainless overhead weld?

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
actually that is where i saw it was off the link you posted just a different sub section. gmpartsgiant is another but the purposely leave of the first 2 part number digits to keep you from shopping elsewhere but i get around that. same info as what you got. figured you would find it. just needed a little encouragement. try the gmpartsgiant tho. easier to navigate. for me anyway.

and i work on aircraft so i have done some pretty advanced testing but not a bend test on ss weld. ours is ndt.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
griffey_mojo