Repeat knock sensor codes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fguy80

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Greetings everyone,

I'm having some repeat issues with the knock sensors on my 2005 Yukon XL Denali. I've change both sensors with AC Delco sensors and a genuine GM harness, all torque specs were adhered to and mating surfaces cleaned. I also make sure to disconnect the positive battery cable and ground it to clear the memory. I have now done this 3 times over the last 6 months or so and get either 1 or both knock sensor codes shortly after changing them, the most recent time the codes posted the next day. I would like to not have to pull the intake off anymore, so any thing else I should look at would be greatly appreciated.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum from Colorado!

Is this the 5.3L or the 6.0L engine?

What specific codes are you getting?

What octane fuel are you running?

When were the spark plugs last changed, and what plugs were installed? Post up some history, like how long you've owned it and what's been done to it.

OP
OP
F

Fguy80

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum from Colorado!

Is this the 5.3L or the 6.0L engine?

What specific codes are you getting?

What octane fuel are you running?

When were the spark plugs last changed, and what plugs were installed? Post up some history, like how long you've owned it and what's been done to it.
It is the 6.0.

I'll have to verify, but I believe that I'm getting the P0327 code now, prior to this last sensor change it was P0332.

Running 87 octane, generally 10% blend, but have tried ethanol free.

Spark plugs were changed November of 2021 with AC Delco 41-962

We bought it 12 years ago with 70k on it, it now has 206k and is bone stock. It was trouble free for years until about 2 years ago when it first posted both sensor codes and I found both to have water in the holes. I replaced and sealed the plugs in per the service bulletin. Ever since then it has posted the codes at some point after changing them.

Scottydoggs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
being both them codes come back to low voltage, id take a good look at the other side of the harness. follow it looking for damage. the plug end could have bare wire showing too.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
This is out there a little but one thing you could check is the connectors (okay, two things :rolleyes:) at the PCM. Pull both of them and check for cleanliness and pin fitment. Water can migrate into the connectors and cause "green crusties" or corroded connections. Have some Deoxit or electronics cleaner handy. If the connector gaskets are letting water in, think about putting on some new gaskets.

OP
OP
F

Fguy80

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I've inspected as much of the wiring as can be seen without splitting the loom back. I will definitely check the PCM plugs and likely ring out the wiring between the plugs.

This truck has been absolutely trouble free since we've owned it and is in fantastic shape for the age, but this has definitely had me banging my head on the wall trying to figure out.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Pics of the truck, please.

I would suggest one simple thing with that 6.0 motor before reloading the parts cannon. Try a tank of 89 or 91 octane gas, and see if the knock goes away.

OP
OP
F

Fguy80

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Pics of the truck, please.

I would suggest one simple thing with that 6.0 motor before reloading the parts cannon. Try a tank of 89 or 91 octane gas, and see if the knock goes away.
I will give a tank or 2 of 91 a shot and see if it makes any difference.

I'm suspecting the knock sensors were bad from stock as prior to this last change I was only getting the P0332 code, now I'm getting the P0327 and P0332 codes.

Attachments

• BE8FA683-21EA-4554-AFC1-9B075A853531.jpeg
    BE8FA683-21EA-4554-AFC1-9B075A853531.jpeg
    69.2 KB · Views: 4

Moosemoon

Reaction score
I will give a tank or 2 of 91 a shot and see if it makes any difference.

I'm suspecting the knock sensors were bad from stock as prior to this last change I was only getting the P0332 code, now I'm getting the P0327 and P0332 codes.
Did the higher octane help? I am also chasing this issue.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kylesimmons