Removing rear quarter glass and barn door windows

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

true95w/t

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'm stripping my yukon for paint. Anybody have insight on removing the rear quarter glass and also removing barn door style back windows? I have searched and also tried YouTube and can't find much of anything.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
I'd think it would be like removing a windshield. Cut the outer rubber moulding off and use something like piano wire to cut through the rubber holding the window in place. Make sure you have some help holding it as you do it. Might fall out and break.

OP
OP
true95w/t

true95w/t

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Crap that's what I was thinking also. Maybe I should call in local glass company to remove side glass, windshield and barn glass. Hopefully it won't cost much cause that comes out of the budget. I noticed my windshield has a Crack in the lower.corner in the black anyway.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
I would if you're not confident in doing it yourself. But def call a bunch of different places, prices can and will vary big time. Is a body shop painting it? If so why don't you just let them do it? And if they break anything, they'll be responsible for it.

OP
OP
true95w/t

true95w/t

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'm painting it. I'm doing all the work. It will probably take me a year or more to get everything done.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Wow! Good luck with it. Remember, it's all about the prep work before the paint goes on. What color are you painting it?

OP
OP
true95w/t

true95w/t

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Most likely going black on top and dark blue on bottom with silver stripe dividing them may do matte finish. I painted my last truck but I'm definitely going higher quality with this one. I painted last one satin and hated the paint after 6 months because I did single stage and it went flat in areas.IMG_3669.JPG

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
I hope it goes well for you. Black is a tough color, especially if it has body work done to it. Actually, any dark color is tough with body work.

OP
OP
true95w/t

true95w/t

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'm not too worried about the body work. I'm descent at it and seeing that I'm not rushing this time I will be able to keep working at it until it is right. Only major bodywork on yukon will be filling the holes in roof and most likely a roll pan. I'm replacing one rusty fender and also going with either cowl hood or doing the Chevy HD hood which will add to the amount of body work. I look at it this way, all I got is time and since this will most likely be last vehicle I build up, I'm going to take all the time I need.

SlowD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Most likely going black on top and dark blue on bottom with silver stripe dividing them may do matte finish. I painted my last truck but I'm definitely going higher quality with this one. I painted last one satin and hated the paint after 6 months because I did single stage and it went flat in areas.View attachment 69513

That was one of the reasons I went with Avery Satin Vinyl to not have to worry about high / blotchy spots and ease of future panel repairs without having to blend.
From what I have personally seen it takes a very skilled painter to lay down Satin or matte paint and not run into issues hence the reason it cost and arm and a leg.

Anyways man awesome project you have going and sorry I can't help with window removal, I'm sure someone on here has done it and will chime in.

IMG_1775.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
abruck