Remove Liftgate Panel to replace latch 2008 Yukon

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Randy Messina

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My auto liftgate stopped working and after doing some research I'd like to try and replace the latch. I started popping off the bottom section of plastic panels but when I got to the piece next to the latch it refuses to release. I removed the torx screw and handle first. I put a good amount of pressure and I can see the clip inside but it will not come out. I don't not want to break any of this awesome quality plastic. Any help is appreciated, am I missing something?

OP
OP
R

Randy Messina

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Just to update... I was able to get those stupid clips loose. It took a lot of pressure and I was afraid I would break the clips or plastic but all is well. My symptoms for the initial problem was that I could manually open my liftgate but when I pressed the button to auto open, I could hear the motor spinning but the gate would not open. I thought it would be an issue with the gear assembly or the control module but the problem was the latch. This is the part I used on my 2008 Yukon http://www.amazon.com/Genuine-GM-13581405-Liftgate-Latch/dp/B00GUDCVN0. I hope this helps someone else.

M3kanic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you for posting an update.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Chito

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a problem with a 2007 chevy Tahoe the lift gate will not open the motor does not work and what sucks is I cannot open the rear window as the motor for that may be dead aswell I cannot open the plastic panel because the rear window does not open can anybody help or give any tips on this?

Mywifeshoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Just to update... I was able to get those stupid clips loose. It took a lot of pressure and I was afraid I would break the clips or plastic but all is well. My symptoms for the initial problem was that I could manually open my liftgate but when I pressed the button to auto open, I could hear the motor spinning but the gate would not open. I thought it would be an issue with the gear assembly or the control module but the problem was the latch. This is the part I used on my 2008 Yukon http://www.amazon.com/Genuine-GM-13581405-Liftgate-Latch/dp/B00GUDCVN0. I hope this helps someone else.
Before you replaced the handle, was it unlocking and locking as normal? I know the hatch wouldn't open but when it was closed and you slightly pulled on the handle and let go, would it unlock and lights blink but just not go up? I pulled that gear off right next to the motor and when the motor turns it won't engage the gear to lift.

donjetman

Full Access Member
Reaction score

donjetman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Installed another rear liftgate latching mechanism, Standard brand pt# DLA1017. All is well again so far :boobs:

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smokin Denali

Latest posts