Remove Codes : Installed 2001 4WD body on 2002 2WD frame/drivetrain...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

onebad7up

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have had a 2002 Yukon SLE 2WD for 10-12 years. A few years ago, I had some major damage to the body. I found a local 2001 4WD truck that had better luxury options, but the ddrivetrain was crap.

Long story short, I installed the 4WD body onto my 2WD drivetrain and got everything working.

Now I have error messages because I think it is looking for the 4WD system sensors.

Does anyone have any advice on how to proceed? This truck is beautiful now (new paint, interior, etc.) but it has been sitting in storage for past 3-4 years because of these codes...)

C0315 – Motor ground circuit open

C0327 – Encoder circuit short to ground or open

C0323 – transfer case lock circuit low

P0405 – Exhaust gas recirc sensor a circuit

(2) Airbag code

U1000 – class 2 data link malfunction

yukon.jpg

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
there were lots of changes made from 00-01, to 02+ that's going to be tricky, the computer is going to need to be reprogrammed

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
I have had a 2002 Yukon SLE 2WD for 10-12 years. A few years ago, I had some major damage to the body. I found a local 2001 4WD truck that had better luxury options, but the ddrivetrain was crap.

Long story short, I installed the 4WD body onto my 2WD drivetrain and got everything working.

Now I have error messages because I think it is looking for the 4WD system sensors.

Does anyone have any advice on how to proceed? This truck is beautiful now (new paint, interior, etc.) but it has been sitting in storage for past 3-4 years because of these codes...)

C0315 – Motor ground circuit open

C0327 – Encoder circuit short to ground or open

C0323 – transfer case lock circuit low

P0405 – Exhaust gas recirc sensor a circuit

(2) Airbag code

U1000 – class 2 data link malfunction

View attachment 212446
Sounds like it was a big project.

Scottydoggs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you likely need to swap the whole inside wire harness over.

those are C codes, tuners can only delete P codes.

i have a friend who swapped over his 03 duramax frame and drive train to a newer body, that was gas. the whole harness needed to follow the engine and frame. inside and out.

being you got a year change and not the same 4wd, i think the inside harness and bcm and everything else under the dash would need to be swapped over as well.

OP
OP
O

onebad7up

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Sounds like it was a big project.

Looking back, this is probably a bad idea...

you likely need to swap the whole inside wire harness over.

those are C codes, tuners can only delete P codes.

i have a friend who swapped over his 03 duramax frame and drive train to a newer body, that was gas. the whole harness needed to follow the engine and frame. inside and out.

being you got a year change and not the same 4wd, i think the inside harness and bcm and everything else under the dash would need to be swapped over as well.

I sure hope this is not the case. Don't have the original 2wd body anymore...

CountryBoy19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
there were lots of changes made from 00-01, to 02+ that's going to be tricky, the computer is going to need to be reprogrammed
I thought the big jumps were when they went to the 03 model year??

If I'm right on that, the actual wiring harness is likely to be the same. OP probably just needs the BCM to be flashed to the VIN of the frame/engine. However, there is a chance that will mess with other things then (security, ignition, etc)...

I don't know the answer to this... generally people don't embark on things like this without intricate knowledge of just how all the systems interact.

I wonder if the Helm svc manuals would have anything in them? I have the pdf manual for 05 Yukon/Tahoe/Suburban, as well as the Silverado/Sierra manual because the Yukon/Tahoe/Suburban manual didn't have the info I was looking for. The Silverado/Sierra manuals are more detailed, with ~30,000 pages of information.

ETA, seaching these manuals can be a time-consuming effort. If this were a simple problem I wouldn't have a problem looking up the info for you but I just don't have much free time right now so I can't look through the manuals on a hunting expedition.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought the big jumps were when they went to the 03 model year??

If I'm right on that, the actual wiring harness is likely to be the same. OP probably just needs the BCM to be flashed to the VIN of the frame/engine. However, there is a chance that will mess with other things then (security, ignition, etc)...

I don't know the answer to this... generally people don't embark on things like this without intricate knowledge of just how all the systems interact.

I wonder if the Helm svc manuals would have anything in them? I have the pdf manual for 05 Yukon/Tahoe/Suburban, as well as the Silverado/Sierra manual because the Yukon/Tahoe/Suburban manual didn't have the info I was looking for. The Silverado/Sierra manuals are more detailed, with ~30,000 pages of information.

ETA, seaching these manuals can be a time-consuming effort. If this were a simple problem I wouldn't have a problem looking up the info for you but I just don't have much free time right now so I can't look through the manuals on a hunting expedition.
ya, you are probably right I had 00 4wd nbs I was thinking there were some minor changes in 02 though but maybe not

Scottydoggs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the main issue here is he running a 4wd body on 2wd running gear. theres gonna be a load of stuff that wont have a plug to go any where. hence all the C codes.

CountryBoy19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the main issue here is he running a 4wd body on 2wd running gear. theres gonna be a load of stuff that wont have a plug to go any where. hence all the C codes.
You're making the assumption that GM puts a different wiring harness in 2WD vehicles. Do they?

From an engineering & production perspection, it's normally most economical to have the same main harness in all variants. Then, for certain things like the addition of a trailer hitch, or transfer case there can be supplementary harnesses. IE, my old vehicle was a Buick Enclave. IIRC, there was only 1 harness variant. There were a couple fuse-box variants. Adding a factory tow package involved swapping out the fuse-box (I believe to include the trailer brake controller) and adding the supplementary trailer wire harness that connected in the right rear quarter-panel. The main wiring was already there, you just needed the fuse box that had the fuse-slot for the brake controller populated (it was still present in the other variants, it just didn't have electrical terminals in it), and the supplementary harness was just the portion of the trailer wiring that extended outside the vehicle; it plugged in up in the right rear quarter-panel and went through the bumper cover.

I'm guessing the codes being tripped have less to do with the fact that the 4WD wiring is present with nothing to plug into it, and more to do with the computer (flashed to a VIN with 4WD) is looking for components that it can't see.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rjhorst14