Remote unlock won't work after replacing power window switch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

doncaruana

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My driver's side power window switch with all 4 windows and the door lock switch on it, failed on me. This is actually a Dorman replacement from two and a half years ago when the original switch from my '97 Tahoe wore out (don't buy a Dorman - it just randomly rolled the driver's side window down and wouldn't roll it back up - similar problems from others!!). Anyway, I put in the new switch (cheap knock off, of course) and everything seemed ok.

Except now the remote unlock doesn't work. I've had an aftermarket alarm that I had installed when I bought the truck new and it's never given me issues. When you turn the ignition off, it automatically unlocks the doors and when you use the key fob, the door lock operation follows the chirps (unlocks when you turn alarm off, locks when you turn it on).

The manual switch still works. The rest of the alarm works. When I open the door, the dome light comes on so the truck knows the driver's side door is open. But if I open the driver's side door when the alarm is armed, nothing happens (other doors work okay).

Now I don't know how these alarms are supposed to work, but it seems like the alarm is somehow trying to communicate with the lock switch and isn't. Does this sound like I've broken or loosened a wire for the alarm system in the door changing out this switch? Or does any of that even make sense?

OP
OP
D

doncaruana

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I guess I'll answer my own question...

I put the Dorman back in and, voila! - the remote unlock and all functions working as expected. Of course the driver's side window was still a problem, but that was just a proof of concept. Went to Autozone and bought their switch and everything is working good now. I'm sending the el cheapo knockoff back.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
madmax442