Relays!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Shibbershabber

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Back with my 99 Yukon...

So, few things has me looking at relays and I am not 100% on the what and where.

First...

The AC, looking in the box in the engine bay, there shows a relay on the guide, but the relay isnt actually there... like a previous owner took it out... Im probably opening a can of worms with it...
But I want to get a relay in there and see what im working with on the AC... because its 95* and my family whines like you wouldnt believe when its hot.

Anyhow...
Here is what I have

I have no p/n for the AC relay and when I Google it, I get a myriad of different relays.
WP_20180620_21_20_10_Pro[1].jpg WP_20180620_21_20_04_Pro[1].jpg

Then there is this one under the dash, behind the parking brake...
WP_20180620_21_22_26_Pro[1].jpg

Secondly...
I have been having random PDL issues... some doors lock and unlock sometimes and not others... could be inop one day and good the next... no clear patterns. This is with the original fob, two aftermarket fobs and the lock button on the drivers door...

Is THIS the relay for the PDL?
WP_20180620_21_23_28_Pro[1].jpg

Okay, not the best picture... its right side of steering column, above the accelerator...

Could be the one pictured below...
s-l225.jpg

Any thoughts on that?
So its every door that has been affected. Drivers door seems to be the most reliable, but it too has been tricky. Rock auto has the above relay which appears similar to the one I have, and I have yet to find another relay on the truck that looks like this.

Is this the PDL relay?

TigerEyz3

Slow and Steady
Reaction score
Can't answer your PDL relay question, but I can say that I've had similar PDL issues in the past... replacing the door lock actuators resolved my issues (couldn't manually lock/unlock with key). Not saying my issue is the same as what you're dealing with, but you mentioned "randomness" which I definitely had with mine. Relays typically affect ALL or NONE (shorted connections, swollen relay body due to overheating, etc), actuators can be flaky.

east302

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is the a/c relay on my 98 two-door, no rear air but not sure that it would matter...

00dde2ffb0954e33537e422a46a538d7.jpg

dcd61264fd783d8a4e9645b1cba12580.jpg

be8f1e0c9826f9b0c25c846c68accce5.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
S

Shibbershabber

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ordered a few off of RockAuto, should be here this week...

Ill post my results...;)

OP
OP
S

Shibbershabber

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay. Got the AC relay and nothing.

Maybe this is better for a new thread...

Since the engine was swapped, is it possible that it was discharged in the process???
Or can the a.c. be taken out without discharging?

If not, are we talking oil gone or just the refrigerant???

TigerEyz3

Slow and Steady
Reaction score
Anything is possible...
  • Yes, the compressor can be taken off the engine without discharging. Most try to make the engine removal process easier by disconnecting the hoses from the compressor (easier to maneuver the hoses without the compressor being attached).
  • Yes, it's very possible that it discharged the refrigerant (without discharging the PAG oil). Hose connections can be tweaked enough to break the seal when things are moved from normal positions.

OP
OP
S

Shibbershabber

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also changed the clutch switch...

Got home and ran it... pressure was about 45psi. Should be good to go.

When the clutch would engage, it sounded rough. Running for 5 sec or so and then disengage. I didnt let it go on enough to see if it got cold.

I just now went out to see if I could get a video of it so you can hear the sound... but of course it wouldnt come on.....

So, at minimum the clutch is out? Maybe a bearing?

... if it was the bearing, wouldnt it make noise all the time? Or are there separate bearings?
... is a clutch replacement just a plug and play operation or is it a pain in the ass and I should just as well replace the whole compressor unit?
... if I just do the whole thing... do they come with oil already and I just bolt it in and recharge it?

Thoughts?

TigerEyz3

Slow and Steady
Reaction score
If you replace the entire compressor, you'll have to add oil. Any oil that may be present would be remnant from factory testing and not enough for a running system.

I've got an "AC flush/replace kit" in my garage waiting on me to learn how to flush an AC system. I would personally replace the whole compressor rather than fool around with a clutch replacement. Seems like too many opportunities for a leak to arise.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PascalBlues