Rebuild /upgrade 5.3L or gm crate motor?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DESSKI

Reaction score
Well it seems my well taken care of 1 owner 114k stock 5.3L motor has internal problems so now it's decision time. Should I go with a new gm LS crate motor in the $4K range or stroke out my current 5.3L with some mildly ported heads and Z06 cam? Those crate motors seem impressive and I want reliability cause it's our family travel car 4wd (skiing) but since I'll have to pull the motor out no matter what I figure I should be able to upgrade its output with the current motor. My budget is right at $5500 total labor excluded.

Suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

doubletapdrew

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd rebuild and modify it. What's wrong internally with it? That's awfully low miles to be having problems.

johnsoex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can get a drop in LS2 with forged internals for around 4k. I'd do that.

Gzes

the drifting 2dr
Reaction score
He probably spun a bearing or ran it without oil? Possably an unbalanced crankshaft and it started wearing out everything all weird. Thats jist my guess

OP
OP
DESSKI

DESSKI

Reaction score
He probably spun a bearing or ran it without oil? Possably an unbalanced crankshaft and it started wearing out everything all weird. Thats jist my guess

Infrequent oil changes not an issue!

The number 2 piston wrist pin is starting to take a shit. Now where do I go from here? A performance rebuild the hurt motor or go with GM's 327 5.3L crate motor? A stall converter and headers are a must item since the motor has to get pulled.

2007chevy5.3l

Reaction score
I say buy another 5.3 pull out of a wrecked vehicle. Assuming we are talking about a 07+ vehicle you have to stick to a gen4 engine (07+ only)... For performance, swap out for a mild cam and do the required boltons with a mild stall and itd be a great daily and get exceptionally well MPG's without spending a ton of cash to fix your truck

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo