Rear main engine seal replacement!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RobertM28

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So I have a 2007 Yukon Denali with 175k on mileage. The seal is leaking and a local mechanic said it will be in the neighborhood of 2 grand seams a little high to me what are your thoughts?

aflumb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thats high but that is most likely use the book for hours and what ever the shop rate is.
just got asked to this very job today on an 08 AWD 6.2. its not a couple hour job. but its not really that hard either

-drop trans
-drop transfer case
-drive shafts
-cross member
-exhaust

this is just a list of what i could think of in a couple mins

OP
OP
RobertM28

RobertM28

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Damn I live in dallas tx. Looks like I need to shop around. I considered doing it myself but I'd rather pay someone on this job.

OP
OP
RobertM28

RobertM28

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a winding noise when I press on the gas any ideas! When I let go it stops

BSarteSr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a '07 Yukon XL with the 6.2, ~150k miles, the rear main seal has been leaking for over 5 years, got some quotes to replace the seal of $700-$800 which seems fair since they have to drop the trans to do it right. I'm a DIY'er, been building motors for many decades and just not worth the effort to do this, so I am going to have someone else do it.

Couples of questions:

Heard that the oil seal bracket is probably cracked? Is that the whole seal cover they are talking about? If so, then that needs to be a part I have ready for when they do it.

Thinking about it, would it be a good idea to have the trans freshened up when this is done since it will be down? My thought is that I don't want to touch the trans until I do the rear main seal, do them both together.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
$700-$100 around me considering you have to drop the trans. It’s almost all labor. I did mine while I was replacing the trans as preventive maintenance. It’s easier to replace the rear cover and seal as one piece. It’s not a “bracket” and doesn’t break but it does have its own seal between it and the block which can leak.
upload_2019-11-24_16-19-19.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MrLeritz