Rear hvac module discontinued. Can mine be repaired?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
76Nick

76Nick

Reaction score
Yeah I thought about grabbing one from the junk yard but didn't want to end up with another bad one. From what I understand this is a fairly common problem. That's why I asked if anyone knows how to repair them. Assuming its probably a component inside that goes bad and needs to be removed and a new one resoldered, or even just a solder joint that cracks and needs to be done again like with the gauge clusters.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah I thought about grabbing one from the junk yard but didn't want to end up with another bad one. From what I understand this is a fairly common problem. That's why I asked if anyone knows how to repair them. Assuming its probably a component inside that goes bad and needs to be removed and a new one resoldered, or even just a solder joint that cracks and needs to be done again like with the gauge clusters.
it's not that common, it happens but 99% of the time it is a bad actuator, I would guess that you would probably not find a bad one in the junkyard and if you did most yards give a 30 day warranty (exchange) anyway

OP
OP
76Nick

76Nick

Reaction score
it's not that common, it happens but 99% of the time it is a bad actuator, I would guess that you would probably not find a bad one in the junkyard and if you did most yards give a 30 day warranty (exchange) anyway
I'll have to make sure before I buy one providing I need to go that route. Thank you

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Dorman 601-036. I do not have Tech2. The actuator is stuck on cold and won't move unless I power it manually with my power probe.

This seems to indicate that the module isn't getting the power, ground, or perhaps the signal from the overhead control to change.

If the truck has the AUTO controls, is it being commanded hot in AUTO, or by setting the control temp manually on the overhead control?

Jkpii2000

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Do not buy a Dorman rear climate control module! I bought one about 5yrs ago and it was hell. Every 3 days my battery was dead. After months and months of diag I put my gopro in the Tahoe (2 weeks straight in different places) and head the rear blower motor turning on. It would run for hours off and on. Through my work (18yrs as a UPS diesel mechanic) I met the Dorman rep. I told him about my issue and he said thousands of people had a problem with them. They were know to have a problem from a program issue. Just thought I would share that with you. I’m back in the same boat as you. I went to the junk yard and pulled one about 4 years ago and it went out a few months ago. I’m going to pull mine apart and see if I find any broken/cracked solder joints. Hopefully someone knows a fix on this as it’s been a problem since 2009. Gm even came out with a updated module and it didn’t fix anything.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dvnt