Rear compressor and shocks replacement.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Just curious if anyone has had someone replace the rear compressor and shocks. I was curious what I might expect to pay.

The issue is the compressor keeps kicking on. From what I've read it could be the compressor or shocks. I'm trying to figure out if I should replace just the shocks and see if that fixes it, or replace the compressor and see if that fixes it. I think this might be above my pay grade, so I'm not sure this would be the best course of action.

We have a tire/suspension shop in town that has a good reputation. So I thought about see what they think. Obviously this will cost more, but it might be worth the time and headache I would put myself through, especially if I get things apart and can't get it fixed.

So if anyone can share what it ran them to make this repair it would be appreciated. Trying to figure out when I would save by attempting to do it myself vs what I would spend to just have someone else deal with it.
Thanks.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is a very easy repair to do yourself.

Arnott AS2708 will run you around $190 each with a $50 core for the shocks at RockAuto.

The compressor will run you $180 for Dorman or $240 for Arnott brand at RockAuto.

Use the 5% discount code if you order.

All in for Arnott you’re looking at $720 with core charge. $620 once you get the cores sent back in.

It is about a 1 to 1-1/2 hour job to do shocks and the compressor.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd check the air shocks, first. Start the truck, and then spray some soapy water on the shocks, particularly the rubber air bladders and the air line connector to the shock. If you see bubbles, then you have an air leak, which will signal the compressor to turn on. If this is the case, then replace the air shocks first, and leave the compressor in place, as your compressor may be OK.

coupdevill

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
This is a very easy repair to do yourself.

Arnott AS2708 will run you around $190 each with a $50 core for the shocks at RockAuto.

The compressor will run you $180 for Dorman or $240 for Arnott brand at RockAuto.

Use the 5% discount code if you order.

All in for Arnott you’re looking at $720 with core charge. $620 once you get the cores sent back in.

It is about a 1 to 1-1/2 hour job to do shocks and the compressor.
I am looking to replace my rear shocks, and am having trouble determining which suspension I have and in turn what Arnott shocks to order.

First a little background:

2017 Chevrolet Suburban 4WD LT with I believe Max Trailering, as it has a trailer brake controller.

Over loaded Suburban with over loaded trailer got the best of me, heard /felt a letdown on one shock or the other and now the compressor is running quite a bit and the shocks seem to be riding higher than usual.

Can you tell from the RPO codes and pass on any advice? I like the smooth ride feature, but about once or twice a year I haul a ton of stuff. I already upgraded my brakes to milled and slotted rotors and am not against updating the suspension.

Thank you in advance for any help!

Attachments

• IMG_3634.jpg
    IMG_3634.jpg
    251.6 KB · Views: 11

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just curious if anyone has had someone replace the rear compressor and shocks. I was curious what I might expect to pay.

The issue is the compressor keeps kicking on. From what I've read it could be the compressor or shocks. I'm trying to figure out if I should replace just the shocks and see if that fixes it, or replace the compressor and see if that fixes it. I think this might be above my pay grade, so I'm not sure this would be the best course of action.

We have a tire/suspension shop in town that has a good reputation. So I thought about see what they think. Obviously this will cost more, but it might be worth the time and headache I would put myself through, especially if I get things apart and can't get it fixed.

So if anyone can share what it ran them to make this repair it would be appreciated. Trying to figure out when I would save by attempting to do it myself vs what I would spend to just have someone else deal with it.
Thanks.
a .10 cents mixture of dish soap and water in a spray bottle will answer that question.
spray each shock as the pump is going or right when it shuts off, if no bubbles found anywhere, then do the same around the pump and air line connections

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am looking to replace my rear shocks, and am having trouble determining which suspension I have and in turn what Arnott shocks to order.

First a little background:

2017 Chevrolet Suburban 4WD LT with I believe Max Trailering, as it has a trailer brake controller.

Over loaded Suburban with over loaded trailer got the best of me, heard /felt a letdown on one shock or the other and now the compressor is running quite a bit and the shocks seem to be riding higher than usual.

Can you tell from the RPO codes and pass on any advice? I like the smooth ride feature, but about once or twice a year I haul a ton of stuff. I already upgraded my brakes to milled and slotted rotors and am not against updating the suspension.

Thank you in advance for any help!
Not as familiar with the 2015-2020 years but from what I can tell, you have Z85 which I’m pretty sure is Standard Air suspension and 6SH/7SH for front suspension codes and will want to pay attention to when buying new front struts.

Here is a list of RPO codes for your year of vehicle.

I would definitely get underneath and check the bladders on your shocks and associated air lines for leaks with a spray bottle of soapy water.

I think Arnott AS-3066 is the rear shock for you as you do not appear to have Magnaride, which I believe is RPO Z95.

pwtr02ss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did the Dorman compressor setup and oem rear shocks. I also replaced the line going to the passenger side with dorman kit because it was leaking. It's routed through the wire loom going to the passenger side. At the time, they didn't have a kit for the nnbs so I bought the one listed for the nbs and it worked perfect. I did this in ~2013 and other than replacing the compressor this past year (under lifetime warranty), it's been flawless.

Last edited:

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I did the Dorman compressor setup and oem rear shocks. I also replaced the line going to the passenger side with dorman kit because it was leaking. It's routed through the wire loom going to the passenger side. At the time, they didn't have a kit for the nnbs so I bought the one listed for the nbs and it worked perfect. I did this in ~2013 and other than replacing the compressor this past year (under lifetime warranty), it's been flawless.
Do you have a Tech 2? I'm wondering, because with my Dorman replacement compressor, I cannot see the actual air pressure on my Tech 2, whereas other folks with OEM compressors can see the actual air pressure on their Tech 2's.

pwtr02ss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you have a Tech 2? I'm wondering, because with my Dorman replacement compressor, I cannot see the actual air pressure on my Tech 2, whereas other folks with OEM compressors can see the actual air pressure on their Tech 2's.
Sadly, I do not. It's been something I've wanted to get for a while but I've not pulled the trigger. My understanding of how to use it is lacking

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645