Rear cargo door latch issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

doncaruana

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, the first issue I had is for a while it wouldn't unlock unless I pushed it in first, then pulled the handle. Then that stopped, but I popped the panel on that side and put some silicone spray in there and all was good for a while. Then it stopped again.

This time I think the latch was actually stuck completely open. I looked at it in the winter and took the metal latch arm off that connects to the handle and set it inside the back. It was good there until I got some better weather and could really work on it or even take it to someone.

So, of course, now I can't find that arm. It's just the regular metal rod that's probably about 12 inches long or so. I don't even know what to call it to see if I can find a replacement. So, even if I can get the latch released, I can't do anything with it without that arm.

Can anybody point me in the right direction on a part number or something? Who knows if I'll be able to find something of the same vintage as my 99 Tahoe with a cargo door on it even in a junk yard.

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know it's half assed but maybe rig something up out of a coat hanger wire until you find the right part? :confused:

OP
OP
D

doncaruana

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well - I found it. :) Now the really big question...is it even possible to repair this latch?

OP
OP
D

doncaruana

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And I figured out the part as well. Looking at some pictures, it's definitely 15736966. Can't seem to find anything but OEM though at around $100, except one place (http://oemcats.com/oem-parts/15736966.html) that has it a lot cheaper. Anyone know anything about this place?

exp500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
U Pullit from a bent door- grab the latch too! Got to be 2 dozen in local yard here. Bound to find a bent one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PeskarS