Rear axle swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kcb37

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gzes,
I can replace the axle in my 03 2500HD or my dad's 03 1500 Silverado just as easy as my 96 Silverado or my wifes 99 Tahoe.
I have no clue what you are talking about them being harder to replace.
Same thing u-bolts, u-joint, shocks. What's different? Really?

Avalability I will give you. Otherwise a 1500 axle (pickup, Tahoe, burb) is the same axle. Newer one's depending on year have disc/drum and went from an 8.5 ring to an 8.6.
So other then cost and avalavility what's so bad?

How is a new axle that mounts exactly the same so much harder to change? Just wondering, newer is usually easier, you don't break as much.
Maybe I am the stupid one, if so please correct me.

---------- Post added at 11:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:55 PM ----------

Will add, since I forgot, newer Tahoe's/burbs (not sure if both or all) have coils.

Will also add about gzes's comment about older axles being rock solid. That is a joke.
Do some reading. 1500 or 1/2 ton axles have a bad rep, plain and simple.
10 bolt to most people equals junk.
So that said if you want a real axle that is actually solid as a rock get a 14bt FF.
Something gzes does not have.
Really want to know how I know. I will put up some pictures. Blew out my rear in my 96, my 03 has almost caught up in miles. The 03 was bought to pull a 30' camper 10,000 dry weight. My 96 has had at most 6,000 pound 3 times about 12,000 miles. Otherwise light trailers.

My 03 now pulls 6,000 to 10,000 pounds, just depends on what I am moving.

Gzes

the drifting 2dr
Reaction score
Kcb37 was thinking of ford rear end. As in this CB1E0A36-83C2-42EB-A129-6EC66854FE80-864-0000003C8E10B520_zps6292b09a.gif
And to correct your comment I told him to get a 14 bolt back on my first post but my 10 bolt has taken alot of beating no problem. Tow cars, trucks, my 16ft trailer full of brick or shingles or anything really and can't complain it has been a damn good axle for me. Back to fitting issues as you said the newer ones have coils. Won't bolt up you gotta convert to leafs or convert the Tahoe to coil setup. Ill take an older one over a newer one any day but I'm gonna get dana 60 rear maybe dana 60 front if I can find a driver drop

kcb37

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I never told him to go to a newer axle.
The 10 bolts are weak no way around that.
The only 14 bolt what I said I though you were talking about was a 9.5 ring gear. Either light 3/4 or heavy 1/2 ton. Will bolt right in.
Again still curious to what makes you think a newer axle is crap?
Still basically the same 10 bolt but just because they are new does not make them crap.

You are stating your opinion not fact.
Yes a 10bt is a crappy axle. New or old. Meaning 8.5 or 8.6. Yes trucks have leaf springs swap can be done not a super easy swap, not worth the effort. Yes Tahoe's/burb newer have coils, again not an easy swap.

I still want to know how it's a crappy axle? You completely fail to validate anything you are saying. They are almost an identical axle. Kinda like saying a 700R4, 4L60, and 4L60E are totally different transmissions. They are not. Older 700's were weaker, 4L60 was updated, 4L60E got computer controlled/updated. Pretty much all the same trans.

Do you know the difference between a SF and a FF?
What about a 9.5, 10.5, and 11.5 (all the same axle, with the exception of the 9.5 a bit different) "hint hint"

---------- Post added at 11:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:45 PM ----------

Let me correct myself.
A 9.5 SF will bolt right in, but you need a conversion u-joint, and maybe adapters to hook up the brake lines.
Brake proportioning may be a bit off too.

I don't see how you can compare a 16" trailer even with a truck (1/2 ton right) to a 10,000 unloaded parachute behind my truck.
Look at the pic in my sig that trailer alone will work your little toy. Don't care what you say I know better. Think your truck pulls like the trailer isn't their drive one like mine. That 4,700 truck bed on my "2,000" pound trailer was their, truck did not care. (say "2,000 pounds, have not weighted it, but atleast that)

Last edited:

Gzes

the drifting 2dr
Reaction score
As you say yourself could care less what you say but for the sake of an argument ill play along. first you say the duramax is your dads then you say it's yours? (Get one story and stick with it) Your also trying to compare a 2500 base to a 1500 base kinda idiotic to compare of course higher category truck will be rated for more and have more power (cough cough a turbo diesel) you also fail to comprehend that I already explained that i was thinking of a ford rear end not chevy... now ill still take a older axle over newer due to: Avalabilty, price, also forgot to mention that leaf spring perches won't line up. You gotta move them as we'll as shock tabs

---------- Post added at 12:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:32 AM ----------

Also the hell is on that flatbed trailer looks like whatever it is has been sitting for along time and had grass grow over and get yanked off the ground and slapped on with blocks to keep it from sitting on the fender wheels

kcb37

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Read my post again. Did not call my dad's a dmax. Called mine a dmax. My dad's is also an 03 but a 1500.
To compare talking about axle yeah I will compare a 3500 dually to a 1/2ton. Which has a better axle, you said yourself in the beginning 14bt right? But you failed to specify which 14bt.
Why would you even talk about a Ford axle here? What does that have to do with the OP? He want's a 10bt, or a 14bt sf 9.5 Which if he pulls one from a truck he may find his 4.10's.

The bed on my trailer is upside down. Flatbed with boxes underneath. Yes it did sit on the ground, took the fenders off the trailer, rolled it up on "logs/firewood" to get it to roll. 2 tractors, a winch, and a jack. Think that was it.

OP
OP
Symba_The_Lyon

Symba_The_Lyon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wanted to bump the thread now because its dealing with pretty much the same topic I did the 14 smifloater swap now its geting ready to blow it figers my luck I am woundering tho would a 99 or up rear axel with disk brakes fit on a 96 tahoe? I hate to go back with a 10 bolt but it would be a lot nicer to not half to deal with drum brakes I know ur probably going half to change the u bolt but is it the same length from the spring pads, shock mounts and the intire axel its self?

corbin dallas

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a similar question about my 96 suburban wagon 2wd 5 lug 342 open diff. i have found a Silverado SS 10 bolt rear end 4:10 gears GT5 g80 posi 6lug. has disc brakes. im pretty sure from reading this will swap in under my suburban. my question is can i slide out the 6 lug axles and slide in my 5 lugs from the open diff. is this possible or do i have to buy new axles and/or have a shop fill and drill the 6 lug or? any help appreciated

the specific axle i am looking at the guy says its from an 03/04 silverado that is leaf spring suspension. i read from the posts that 00 and up wont swap because they are coil spring,..but im positive from the photos that is a leaf spring truck like my 96 burb

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTN_KDA