Rear Air Shocks Possibly Leaking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TracyBeck88

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello!

I have a 16 tahoe ltz with the air ride suspension. Lately it seems my compressor has been running more and more often. I haven't had a chance to throw the truck up on a hoist, though that is in the works for possibly the next few days, but I suspect either a blown shock or hopefully just a leaking air line.
My reason for coming here is, IF its a shock, has anyone deleted the air shocks and replaced them with regular shocks but added in air bags to be used with the original compressor? I do a lot of towing with my truck. Just a 18ft flat deck hauling scrap usually. And while the air system does well with my trailer, there have been times I've had a heavy load on and the air system struggles to support it.
I really really don't want to have to replace the system with factory parts. I used to work at a GM dealer and the price of the shocks alone just about made me pass out.
My husband has said that we can delete the air system and put regular shocks in the rear with the (having issues with words right now ‍♀️) thing that fools the system in to thinking its still complete. But he's heard and experienced other people having issues with that route.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance!

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Pics of the truck, please.

You can replace the OEM air assisted shocks with other shocks, but you will have to replace the rear springs with 'non-air-assist' springs, which will be stronger. Then, you could add air bags to the new springs and inflate them as necessary, whenever you haul a heavy load in tow.

RST Dana

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Had a 16 with a bad air shock. Rockauto was the ticket. Less than hour price and swapped out in 30 minutes.

OP
OP
T

TracyBeck88

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. Had the chance to put the truck on a hoist yesterday and found that it is in fact a shock. Not the diag i wanted but here we are. Lol
I think I'm just going to stick with the factory set up. So my next question is, should i stick with delco shocks or are the arnott brand any good? Trying to go the cheapest route possible as money is tight. I will be buying from rockauto.

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Arnott has a lifetime warranty. I also believe that certain GM ones do as well, but read the fine print. You could also try replacing the rear coil springs to the non-air ride suspension for some added lift support when towing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dvnt