Rear AC, what vents? Anyone delete?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tgui

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm fairly sure the high pressure AC line from front to rear is leaking.

I'm no AC pro but think there are 3 options.

1) New lines

2) Splice leaky line (is this OK or a hack?)

3) Rear AC delete

If I delete the rear AC then what vents no longer blow cold? Like would I even care its gone?

Thanks and happy spring!!

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
First, assess the overall condition of the existing AC lines. If the leak was caused by corrosion, and the rest of the lines look somewhat corroded, then change the entire lines. Otherwise repair the leak in the existing lines.

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can get a front line set for a pickup truck of the same year and it will omit the rear line connection. I've seen a handful of customers opt for this over the years versus plumbing new lines all the way to the back.

If they are corroded, the only fix is replacing or omitting that part of the system.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the rear vents would not blow cold air, this includes any in the headliner and any under the rear seats
in the summer that can be pretty miserable, here in CA even with everything on full blast cold as it will go working 100% properly it can still be a real discomfort unless you have been running it for a good long time then it will slowly start to actually work. god forbid you go somewhere like Arizona where it is 120+ outside my god it gets hot there you do not want to ever shut it off not even for a minute.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm fairly sure the high pressure AC line from front to rear is leaking.

I'm no AC pro but think there are 3 options.

1) New lines

2) Splice leaky line (is this OK or a hack?)

3) Rear AC delete

If I delete the rear AC then what vents no longer blow cold? Like would I even care its gone?

Thanks and happy spring!!
GM sells a repair kit to fix the rear lines. With the rear AC off, it is even warm up front and takes a long time to cool off the cab. Same goes for when the passengers close the roof AC vents. Closed vents also makes it noisy back there.

Fix it right, you'll be pleased.

OP
OP
T

tgui

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All very good points. I live in the DC area. Yup, I'll be keeping that rear AC!!

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the rear vents would not blow cold air, this includes any in the headliner and any under the rear seats
in the summer that can be pretty miserable, here in CA even with everything on full blast cold as it will go working 100% properly it can still be a real discomfort unless you have been running it for a good long time then it will slowly start to actually work. god forbid you go somewhere like Arizona where it is 120+ outside my god it gets hot there you do not want to ever shut it off not even for a minute.
I really love my Electric A/C i can get the interior down to 38f inside it's like being inside a refrigerator....some GM even have the snow maker option where snow comes out of the a/c vents sorry i can't find the video

Last edited:

mikez71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I really love my Electric A/C i can get the interior down to 38f inside it's like being inside a refrigerator....some GM even have the snow maker option where snow comes out of the a/c vents sorry i can't find the video
What is this Electric A/C? (and where?)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ep33401