Rattle in the front

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

c-cab23

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have an 04 yukon that has just recently developed a rattle in the front. It seems to be coming from the left side. I checked in the engine compartment and everything looked fine. I also jacked it up and checked under the truck. Everything seemed to be ok. I don't feel anything resonating up through the steering column. It's baffling me. Any help in what to look for would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Bob

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Is it a rattle that you hear only or can you feel it as well in the seat or floorboard? You already said you did not feel it in the steering. Does it rattle when driving, turning, over bumps or is it speed sensitive? Is it a tinny rattle or a deeper rattle like a thumping or thud? May well be an exhaust shield rattle. You make have a piece of body molding or air molding loose. You may have something loose at the wheel area. May have brake hardware rattle. Does the noise stop when apply brakes? Need more details about when you hear it, ALWAYS?, or at certain speeds or certain driving conditions?

Cbncanada

Reaction score
It could be the bearing in the steering column where it goes through the firewall getting worn. Mine is doing that and it can cause a rattle that sounds and feels like it coming from the front end. I am told that it is not an urgent problem and a bit of a challenge to fix especially if you have variable foot pedals as all that has to come out to replace the bearing.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
While you're checking things, see if the wheel center caps are tight, and check the sway bar end links in case they're loose or a bushing is worn or gone. Lots of stuff under the frontend can rattle. Keep it at ride height (not on a lift) and get under there and probe, shake, and wiggle. The truck parts, not yours.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

c-cab23

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Ok the noise is a deeper thumping. It is not speed sensitive. I can hear it when I go over bumps. On a smooth road it's quiet. It is not a tinny sound like a heat shield. I also don't feel it in the floor or seat.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ok, like @Fless said, sway bar frame bushings and end links should be inspected and I would check the upper and lower ball joints as well. Check control arm bushings too. Still could be a body part that is loose doing it as well. Hell, there are literally dozens of places to look. Check the hub bearings too. If you are unsure of the CORRECT way to inspect each of these, let us know.

You can check some you tube videos for inspection steps but check 2-3 for each one because some of the you tube videos are junk.

ferrelbirdjr408

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Does it sounds like a hollow sound? My truck shows this sound it sounded like the left front wheel but when changing the brake pads found it was a bad hub bearings.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fishcop076