Random rotten egg smell through Ac vent?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lrdchaos

Reaction score
just picked up a 2016 Tahoe z71, today on our first long trip we would randomly get a slight smell of rotten egg through the ac vent. It was quick and disapated fairly quick, just smelled like someone passed gas. Car ran great and got 21mpg overall for 400 Miles.

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
just picked up a 2016 Tahoe z71, today on our first long trip we would randomly get a slight smell of rotten egg through the ac vent. It was quick and disapated fairly quick, just smelled like someone passed gas. Car ran great and got 21mpg overall for 400 Miles.

He who smelt it ...

LT1ZOB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has the in-cabin filter been replaced. Used to get weird, random smells in my Traverse before the filter swap.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
usually that type of smell is from the catalytic converter/s, it's possible maybe the previous owner/dealer had a new one or new ones installed before you purchased it?, if you get under the truck and look you may be able to tell if there is fresh welds around the cat's if not maybe one is possibly going bad, I have only smelled it before right after having a new one put on then the smell goes away after a short while

OP
OP
L

Lrdchaos

Reaction score
I’ll check out the cabin filter and the converter. The car only has 23k on it so I wouldn’t think too much could be bad.

ddjet

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Back in the day, we pranked folks by dropping limburger cheese in their air ducts.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Some cars get a build up of condensation in the evaporator which gets moldy and introduces that smell into the cabin. The dealership can enable the Afterblow procedure that will turn on the fans after the car is shut off when certain conditions are met to keep it dry.

SubSonic

Reaction score
Second catalytic converter smell if it's sulfuric or "rotten eggs" in nature. Strange, however, that you would smell it when driving unless it's come apart and clogging. My 14 SS Camaro had the cat smell from the day it was born if you stood right behind it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mistehkins