Question on Chrome 3M tape for Running Boards

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

msj724

Reaction score
I know this has been discussed, but I just bought some of this chrome 3M tape for the running boards. As I suspected.....the tape doesn't hold. I know some of you have used, and have been successful, so I was wondering how you got it to hold. I washed the plastic with Dawn dish soap to get off dirt and oils, then I used Isopropyl alcohol to clean it more. It still wouldn't hold. I am going to take it back tomorrow if I can't get it to stick.

Thanks!

3blackchevys

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mine never worked..tried a few different methods. i contacted the seller on ebay and got my money back.

Modded

That Guy
Reaction score
Mine held perfectly fine, the second time....... I did it in 90 degree whether also.
I clayed bared the running boards, washed the entire car, clean the running boards with soap and water again, then used Isopropyl alcoholt to wipe it down to assure maximum adhesion.
THe first time I used alcohol only in like 60 degree temp. and it did not stick for shit......

mdtahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did mine during the winter time. I pulled it in the shop for about a hour, cleaned it with rubbing alcohol then used a heat gun to warm the board as I applied it. Then went back and used the heat gun while I rubbed the chrome tape. Mine has been on for 6+ months and has not moved. It looks the same as the day I put it on. On the old site (TF) I read of some people using glue.

turboeclips

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Never had any problems with mine... hopefully I don't jinx myself.

I did it is probably about 80 degree weather.
Cleaned it up and then wiped it down with some rubbing alcohol.

Stuck without any problems what so ever and hasn't moved at all.

jday228

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I used a heat gun as well, but I wiped the boards down with acetone,,.(Just where the tape will go)..then heated the boards with the gun then placed the tape doin a lil section at a time. This method should work for all 3M tape applications. Hope this info helps out some.:)

madodger88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What size tape are you all using? I am getting ready to order some and wasn't sure how thick or where to get the best one? Also whats the best technique to get it perfectly straight?

KMeloney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Included with my chrome mirror stick-on pieces was a tube of stuff that you squeeze on to the mirrors to make the 3M tape adhere better. It goes on like alcohol, and then becomes seriously tacky. Whatever this stuff is, I'm sure it's available at parts stores, and is probably the answer to your sticking problems.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Busynesa