Pulsing sound - SOLVED

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Weud

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I recently did quite a bit of swapping of parts. Brakes, calipers rotors, upper/lower control arms on both sides of the vehicle, and the sway bar end links. Ohh, and tierods on both ends
If I recall correctly during this swap, I removed the shocks and cv axels for more space. As of late the vehicle has been creating this sound, I don’t quite have the words to describe. Pulsing maybe. Video attached for reference. It is only ever present when the vehicle is in motion. Somewhat inaudible at highway speed but definitely noticeable on the street. I’m inclined to think its steering related.

Any help or guidance is appreciated.

2011 Tahoe LTZ 4x4.

Last edited:

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I recently did quite a bit of swapping of parts. Brakes, calipers rotors, upper/lower control arms on both sides of the vehicle, and the sway bar end links. Ohh, and tierods on both ends
If I recall correctly during this swap, I removed the shocks and cv axels for more space. As of late the vehicle has been creating this sound, I don’t quite have the works to describe. Pulsing maybe. Video attached for reference. It is only every present when the vehicle is in motion. Somewhat in audible at highway speed but definitely noticeable on the street. I’m inclined to think its steering related.

Any help or guidance is appreciated.

2011 Tahoe LTZ 4x4.

With all that work, I’m assuming you had it re-aligned?

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes

Yes to the swap.

Im thinking more steering wheel but I can definitely feel it through the chassis.
Does the feeling/pulsing change if you turn left or right? Meaning if you turn one way or the other does the pulsing get worse or better? If a wheel bearing is going out, since you didn’t mention changing them, a common symptom is if you “unload” the bearing or “load” it by turning into or away from a bad bearing, the noise/pulsing gets better or worse.

OP
OP
W

Weud

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Does the feeling/pulsing change if you turn left or right? Meaning if you turn one way or the other does the pulsing get worse or better? If a wheel bearing is going out, since you didn’t mention changing them, a common symptom is if you “unload” the bearing or “load” it by turning into or away from a bad bearing, the noise/pulsing gets better or worse.
Less noticeable when turning right but seemingly no change when turning left. Could just be a result of lower vehicle speed when turning.
I noticed that the pulsing is very minimal or not present when reversing.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Less noticeable when turning right but seemingly no change when turning left. Could just be a result of lower vehicle speed when turning.
I noticed that the pulsing is very minimal or not present when reversing.
I’m suspecting you have a wheel bearing going out. You can feel it in the steering wheel and with the reduced noise while turning right, would point to the passenger side bearing, but that’s not always fool proof. I’m assuming with it being a 2011, you are somewhere north of 150K on the odometer and they are likely the original bearings do if that’s all true, it would not be a surprise that a bearing is going out.

You can do one more check which is get the front tires up off the ground and then grab the tire at 12 & 6 and see how much play it has when you try and wiggle it. Again, not fool proof if it’s just starting to go.

At the end of the day, if it was my vehicle, I’d be making plans to replace both wheel bearings. That should complete your front end rebuild.

OP
OP
W

Weud

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I’m suspecting you have a wheel bearing going out. You can feel it in the steering wheel and with the reduced noise while turning right, would point to the passenger side bearing, but that’s not always fool proof. I’m assuming with it being a 2011, you are somewhere north of 150K on the odometer and they are likely the original bearings do if that’s all true, it would not be a surprise that a bearing is going out.

You can do one more check which is get the front tires up off the ground and then grab the tire at 12 & 6 and see how much play it has when you try and wiggle it. Again, not fool proof if it’s just starting to go.

At the end of the day, if it was my vehicle, I’d be making plans to replace both wheel bearings. That should complete your front end rebuild.
I'll do them and report back. Thank you much.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DefiantOne