ProComp Sucks.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ravingmadman

Chief Knuckle Buster
Reaction score
Hey. Just got done replacing the rear end in my truck, and I had to remove the 4" ProComp lift during the process. My biggest complaint with the lift kit (it came with the truck, so I have no idea what model it is) is that with a good lift, the U-bolts should loop around the bottom of the axle, and attach with nuts and a plate over the top of the leaf springs.

The ProComp lift on my hoe has squared u-bolts that loop over the leaves, and attache with a plate under the axle tube with nuts. There's about 2 full inches of extra bolt (maybe for a 6" lift?) hanging down past the nuts. Naturally, the prior owner hit something, and one of the bolts had bent. I cut it off with a hacksaw, and the bolts are not hardened at all, either. Hacksaw cut it like buttuh.

So steer clear from any lift kit that puts the bolt ends and nuts under the axle tube. That's just poor engineering.

sc00bz

South Paw
Reaction score
It if you have blocks back there, odds are it's for the 6". I've never heard of u-bolt probs with procomp. Good thing I'm going for cepek.

bowtiefreak

No Quarter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
all chevy's are that way. There is a U bolt flip kit you can buy. it is not just Pro-Comp that does that. That is a GM thing

bowtiefreak

No Quarter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It if you have blocks back there, odds are it's for the 6". I've never heard of u-bolt probs with procomp. Good thing I'm going for cepek.

Like I said, it is a GM thing. I forget who sells the flip kit. Pirate 4x4 mayhave the info.

99COOP

Retired
Reaction score
there are a few kits out there to get rid of the design flaw. i will be ordering one when i get my 14 bolt to drop in, i dont have a technical problem with the current design, rather i like the cleaner look.

96ProCompTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yep same thing on my procomp kit other than i don't have the extra since its a 6"

OP
OP
ravingmadman

ravingmadman

Chief Knuckle Buster
Reaction score
My '77 blazer has a correctly built one. If I'm buying a lift kit, that requires lengthened u-bolts anyway, why not take the extra 2 seconds, and do it right? Also, since we're bashing on procomp, the front IFS kit is shit too. The upper control arm bashes my front shocks every time the suspension goes fully unsprung, even after modivying the bump stops to get some extra height out of them. My brand new RS5000's now each have a dent in them where the control arm has tried to have it's way with them. Boo.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustpan