Problems trying to install backup cam

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

seven9st surfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got a cheap ebay camera to use with my Sony 660bt head unit. The HU has plugs for the camera in the back, so I figured it would be an easy install. But the more I got into it, I realized I needed to hook up a "reverse in" trigger to the back of the HU. That's done through THIS PLUG. I have the plug, but since the previous owner had this installed in a shop, I guess they didn't think those wires were very important, because they clipped the "speed in" and "reverse in" wires pretty short. I didn't think it was a big deal, I'd just solder some longer wires, but according to the instructions, they apparently have "protective devices" in-line (that bulky black thing you can see in the pink wire bundle). What do yall think that is for? Would it be a big deal to not have that protective device and just run a longer wire to the reverse trigger? Also, exactly what wire do I need to tap for it? Thanks for any help.

Vette66

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The "black thing" could be a resistor or could be a diode. Me personally I would just buy a new harness if you can find one. If you cant I would start with searching for the unit on Google with terms like "reverse wire not working" see if anybody has taken one apart to see what inside.

blaqout

King Yukon
Reaction score
I agree it is probably a resistor, but I would go ahead and extend the wire and just hook it up to either the reverse lights in the rear or the green reverse wire under the steering column. More than likely it is only a precautionary device to avoid a short circuit, but in the case of a "reverse" trigger not really necessary.

OP
OP
seven9st surfer

seven9st surfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Backup cam installed! Thanks for the help. Turns out that it looks like that "protective device is just an in-line fuse. I'll take my chances with it not there.

Vette66

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great. I would also check to see if the reverse lights slightly glow at night when the truck is on. If they do you would want to put a small diode in line on that wire. Sometime the deck will supply a small amount of power out causing this. If not you should be good. Glad it's working.

blaqout

King Yukon
Reaction score
Quick question, did you power the camera from the reverse lights or the tow hitch wiring harness. I know it can be done either way, I'm thinking of using the 12v and ground from the tow hitch adapter just so I can view the camera anytime.

GeneralNoobzor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Quick question, did you power the camera from the reverse lights or the tow hitch wiring harness. I know it can be done either way, I'm thinking of using the 12v and ground from the tow hitch adapter just so I can view the camera anytime.

That's what I did.

choodock

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used a diode on mine so that I can view it any time I want, but also have it work automatically when in reverse. I didn't want it on all the time and didn't want to back-feed 12 volts to my reverse circuit and HU.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ajdahl8660