Pretty sure my alternator just went out. Need Advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
IMO, unless the battery is fairly new, less than a year old, I would change the battery too.

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
Sorry guys, I've been driving all day. The alternator did test bad, it wasn't putting out anything at all. I installed a brand new one in the parking lot at the auto parts store (in the snow lol) and it has been running great!!

Thanks everyone for the suggestions!

Edit: I'm surprised how far I could drive on just the battery lol. From the time my alternator went out until I finally was able to replace it i drove about 38 miles. I never want to do that again haha

What size alternator did it turn out to be?

OP
OP
JJ93

JJ93

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I believe the battery is a year or so old, I'll double check. It fires right up without hesitation though, but I'll keep an eye on things. The alt did turn out to be a 130 amp like I hoped. I put almost 600 miles on it so far and it has been consistently putting out great voltage, even with every accessory on.

I wish I could've put in a new AC Delco unit but I wasn't about to pay what the GM dealer wanted. I got a Napa premium which had good ratings and a good warranty. If it doesn't work out, I'll order a new Delco unit online.

I think within the next few weeks I'm going to replace the thermostat, water pump, and hoses just for good measure. I'm not having problems with them, but I hate when things go wrong on the road that could've been avoided.

Also. This is the best road trip vehicle I've ever owned. So comfortable and sure footed no matter what the weather is. And I got 18 mpg to boot!

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
"I think within the next few weeks I'm going to replace the thermostat, water pump, and hoses just for good measure. I'm not having problems with them, but I hate when things go wrong on the road that could've been avoided."

My dad taught me a long time ago that "Maintenance pays and breakdowns cost".

OP
OP
JJ93

JJ93

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Totally agree. It's worth the peace of mind for sure. I've even tossed around the idea of replacing the fuel pump next spring just so I don't have to wait for it to go out. I know if I wait for it to go out, I'll be dropping a tank that has 30 gallons of gas in it lol. It just seems to be my luck!

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
When I bought my 2002 about 3 years ago I got all the maintenance and repairs paperwork with it and all work had been done at the Chevy dealer about 1 block from me. The fuel pump was replaced at about 125k miles and is now at 159k.

Keeping the fuel clean and replacing the fuel filter when you should helps the pump work easier. Pisses off the pump to try and push fuel thru a clogged filter. Also, try to think of 1/4 tank of fuel as empty. The pump likes being submerged in the cooling effect of the fuel all around it.

Fuel pumps never shoot craps in your driveway either.

The maintenance and certain parts replacement can be planned on and you know how much it will cost ahead of time where a breakdown always costs more.

Mercerbeef

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My alternator just went , had to charge the battery as it ran down. Replaced the alternator and when we tried starting it , everything lights up and flash’s And clicks but no start.
Could it be an alarm system? There’s no sounds of horns but it flash’s the lights inside and out like an alarm system . If it is how would I find out how to disarm it?

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My alternator just went , had to charge the battery as it ran down. Replaced the alternator and when we tried starting it , everything lights up and flash’s And clicks but no start.
Could it be an alarm system? There’s no sounds of horns but it flash’s the lights inside and out like an alarm system . If it is how would I find out how to disarm it?

Are you using jumper cables or did you charge the battery with a charger?

Make sure you have a good ground on both vehicles.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
If cables let it just sit there for a minute or two and charge from the other vehicle while idle is higher or longer on the charger. How long did you charge the battery? If you just hooked up and tried to start right away the battery needs more help. Runs the battery down quite a bit without an alternator. If battery is old enough it may not come back to life so easy or quick.

Mercerbeef

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
It died about 2min from my house and my brother in law pulled me home. Had to remove the battery to charge it. Battery is fully charged.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchievu