pretty sure it's totaled

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bill1013

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure how it's done in Texas, but in Hawaii you don't have to accept the insurance company's first offer at settlement. I got totaled in a 79 Toyota Corolla in 1980. They had to cut me out of the car. I got hit by an Oldsmobile Electra and the driver was stinking drunk. The car was around a year old and the ALLSTATE offered me half of what I owed on the loan. No way was I going to continue paying for a car that was in the junkyard being used for parts and cut up for scrap. It took a while but they finally gave me the Kelly Blue Book Value for it. I ended up with several hundred dollars in my pocket.

OP
OP
madmanjustice

madmanjustice

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure how it's done in Texas, but in Hawaii you don't have to accept the insurance company's first offer at settlement. I got totaled in a 79 Toyota Corolla in 1980. They had to cut me out of the car. I got hit by an Oldsmobile Electra and the driver was stinking drunk. The car was around a year old and the ALLSTATE offered me half of what I owed on the loan. No way was I going to continue paying for a car that was in the junkyard being used for parts and cut up for scrap. It took a while but they finally gave me the Kelly Blue Book Value for it. I ended up with several hundred dollars in my pocket.
This will be the first claim I have had with AllState. They have already provided me a rental to pick up tomorrow so that's good. Years back when my wifes 2005 Grand Caravan was totaled and we had Farmers at the time, they gave us enough to pay it off and have a decent down payment for a replacement. I am expecting something similar from AllState. Especially since these trucks seem to be holding their value.

My wife thinks I should get another PPV/SSV, but I'm thinking about getting a "civilian" this time that already has all the stuff I would add to a PPV. Wondering if the insurance company would let me keep the push bar though...lol

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
This will be the first claim I have had with AllState. They have already provided me a rental to pick up tomorrow so that's good. Years back when my wifes 2005 Grand Caravan was totaled and we had Farmers at the time, they gave us enough to pay it off and have a decent down payment for a replacement. I am expecting something similar from AllState. Especially since these trucks seem to be holding their value.

My wife thinks I should get another PPV/SSV, but I'm thinking about getting a "civilian" this time that already has all the stuff I would add to a PPV. Wondering if the insurance company would let me keep the push bar though...lol
They should let you keep it. Depends on who you talk to--a$$hole/non a$$hole. Unless you submit a receipt for it and they say they paid you for it. Usually they don't pay you for upgrades that you install.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I had Allstate when I totaled my Harley bagger. It was an uninsured motorist claim, not my fault. I had over $42k invested in that bike with receipts to prove it, and that wasn’t including labor because I built it myself. They tried to lowball me of course, with a stock bike price of 18k. I hired an appraiser who charged $500. He came in at 45k. Allstate freaked and hired their own. He came in at 39k. We settled at 40k plus $1500 for gear and Allstate had to pay my appraiser fees too. If you have a lot of customization it can be worth it to hire an appraiser otherwise they won’t pay for stuff you did to it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
griffey_mojo