Premium smooth ride is not smooth

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
At 10 years and 100k+ on the clock it’s time to maintain the suspension components. The good news is that your truck will actually ride BETTER than new once it’s completed if you upgrade during the service.

It’s also time for new TPMS sensors in the rims. Don’t pay to have them installed twice after a tire install.

New tie rod ends, ball joints, control arm bushes and upgrading to poly bushings on the sway bars/end links. Look forward to another 100k of awesomeness after it’s done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
OP
S

Sergey A Rusakov

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
At 10 years and 100k+ on the clock it’s time to maintain the suspension components. The good news is that your truck will actually ride BETTER than new once it’s completed if you upgrade during the service.

It’s also time for new TPMS sensors in the rims. Don’t pay to have them installed twice after a tire install.

New tie rod ends, ball joints, control arm bushes and upgrading to poly bushings on the sway bars/end links. Look forward to another 100k of awesomeness after it’s done.
You are probably right, but replacing so many parts at this time is out of my budget.
Will begin with struts only, then we will see.

And, in terms of 10 years and 100kMi+ and suspension. Why then my past TrailBlazer never had any suspension part replaced, and drove fine till its retirement at 19 years and 275kMi....

Charlie207

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK. Thank you for the feedback.

I will consider ordering GM struts. Spring compressor will be needed. I checked local o`reily auto supply, then can loan this tool
Rental Tools EverTough MacPherson Strut Spring Compressor 67051 | O'R (oreillyauto.com)
Do you believe it will work for Tahoe springs ? O'reily sales rep I do not trust much.
Thanks

Once you get the entire strut assembly out of the vehicle, this is the type of spring compressor you'll want to use.

https://www.autozone.com/loan-a-too...r/powerbuilt-strut-coil-compressor/537058_0_0

?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse4.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOIP.jpg

Once it's secured in the compressor, you can attach an impact gun (1/2" IIRC) and it compress the spring quickly.

This tool worked very well on my Nissan Armada springs, which are probably very similar in size.

OP
OP
S

Sergey A Rusakov

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Loaned this tool at Autozone. It probably is a versatile tool, but it took me a while to get used to it. After multiple tries I was able to compress one strut assembly to a degree when strut removal could be performed.
I failed to remove strut. The nut and the threaded rod end are so rusted that they appear as one piece. No tools helped as the nut is located inside recess area.
Apparently I am not smart enough. All the steps above likely would not be needed if I ever inspected the strut nut before proceeding.

rusted_strut_nut.jpg

S1W99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the same issue with my 2012 LT. All new be grubby suspension kit, Acdelco front struts and Bilstein 4600 rear shocks. Still not smooth.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adamnalicea143e