Preferred Wheel Finish?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EddieC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Our '08 Tahoe Z71 wheels, which have a lot of machined surfaces, are pretty badly oxidized on the unpainted surfaces and apparently the same on the inside bead surface of three as they need air added weekly. My tire dealer has cleaned up the bead areas but the slow leaks return a few seasons later.

That said, it appears cheaper to buy some newer 18" "take-off" wheels than refinishing.

I see a choice in either mostly painted or mostly polished, both looking attractive.

I am a bit wary of the polished wheels thinking they may also oxidize like my machined surfaces did.

What are people's preference?

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Our '08 Tahoe Z71 wheels, which have a lot of machined surfaces, are pretty badly oxidized on the unpainted surfaces and apparently the same on the inside bead surface of three as they need air added weekly. My tire dealer has cleaned up the bead areas but the slow leaks return a few seasons later.

That said, it appears cheaper to buy some newer 18" "take-off" wheels than refinishing.

I see a choice in either mostly painted or mostly polished, both looking attractive.

I am a bit wary of the polished wheels thinking they may also oxidize like my machined surfaces did.

What are people's preference?

Chrome or exactly what you have. Decades ago had chrome on my muscle cars without issue. Then had chrome clad wheels, the chrome plastic cover on aluminum wheels. They didn't corrode but my wife was able to dent seven of them. Our last Montana has painted aluminum wheels, no problems and it spent most of its life in Wisconsin. The wheels on my Yukon are like yours and I like them best. No leakage issues. Just replace them and restore the originals for later or sell them.

hcvone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Polished with clear coat will not oxidize, just treat them like the paint on your car, Polished without clear coat require them to be polished once or twice a year, lots of rubbing to keep them looking nice. You can also have them professionally ceramic coated, this can give 1-3 years of great protection with very little effort. Had this done on two of my cars and my tahoe

OP
OP
EddieC

EddieC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not convinced that the machined surfaces on mine were clear coated, but I am doubting it. I have tried to smooth out the oxidation pitting but I am no match for that and it occurs around the outer edges where an out turned lip makes a difficult area to work in. I think it might be a job for a pro in their shop if they do get restored.

I do really like having the lug nuts concealed as my wheels do but that is not the style of the current oem replacements available.

OP
OP
EddieC

EddieC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check your local bone yard for some good ones.

Thanks but I don't want to repeat the issues soon. Besides new take offs are not far off $150 or less each.

I do miss the days when we could wander around the scrapyard but lawyers and insurance regulations ended that.
I once got a 56 Chevy hood, radio and bell housing and clutch linkage for $50; we could go out and take anything we wanted for $50. Those were the days.

Nowadays, around here, everything is already removed, setup in fancy display racks like they were a new parts department, with prices to match.

sealandsky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Polished with clear coat will not oxidize, just treat them like the paint on your car, Polished without clear coat require them to be polished once or twice a year, lots of rubbing to keep them looking nice. You can also have them professionally ceramic coated, this can give 1-3 years of great protection with very little effort. Had this done on two of my cars and my tahoe
My polished / machined wheels on my 2019 are clear coated, at least until the idiot tech at the dealership scratched it off the center portion at my first tire balance / rotation.

OP
OP
EddieC

EddieC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My polished / machined wheels on my 2019 are clear coated, at least until the idiot tech at the dealership scratched it off the center portion at my first tire balance / rotation.

Idiots indeed.
The owner of our preferred tire shop is appreciative of nice vehicles so all it takes is a word for him to warn the tech to use some care.
Big difference from large shops that have a constantly rotating staff.