Pre-Vortec power difference?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Matt06Yukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know its a 50 Horsepower increase for the 96+ Vortec years, just wondering if anyone has any real world comparisions between the both. I have a 97 RCLB truck, freshened up with new gaskets, dizzy and spider assembly and it runs like a beast, I love it. Its no 5.3 of course but makes tons of low end grunt. Can a pre 96 350 compare or surpass a Vortec with some bolt on parts? The difference is in the roller cam, heads and injection correct?

OP
OP
Matt06Yukon

Matt06Yukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No that's fine, I mean even possibly swapping the heads for some Edelbrock's or Trickflow.

ezdaar

Chat Troll
Supporting Member
Reaction score
my reply was stock vs stock,
modded vs modded. well they are pretty equal then as only the block would stay the same.
Comes down to $$ then.

retorq

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll put my 95 up against just about any 96-99 Tahoe/Escalade on this forum and we'll see what's up. :D

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
the diffence is the heads, induction and fuel feed system mainly. there are a number of mods that a tbi can take on but in my opinion giving other fixed points those bolts on wont get you much over a stock vortec. it is better to build on a vortec platform. not a huge cost difference in 95-96 used pricing if hardly any with averaged pricing. most jsut think it is a newer year and not realize there were significant changes in the engine system.

OP
OP
Matt06Yukon

Matt06Yukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes there's not always much of a difference in price, just not alot to choose from sometimes so I find myself considering the pre Vortecs. Surprisingly, the 96+ do seem to go faster than older trucks around here. The search continues..

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
keep the search up and try to find at least a '96. and if you want an auto4wd auto-trac system at least a '98. a '97 will get you a passenger airbag if you want.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
golavaman