Power-with-ignition wire?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JKmotorsports

Rollin the boosted grocery-getter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A lot of the components in the 07+, and even some in the 03+ trucks, are turned on via data signal from the BCM rather than +12vdc. So when looking for an acc or ign source from components that turn on with acc/ign via LAN, CANBUS, DB, etc, you won't be able to find it on the harness like typical 12 volt sources.

ItsAdam1

Master Fabricator
Reaction score
A lot of the components in the 07+, and even some in the 03+ trucks, are turned on via data signal from the BCM rather than +12vdc. So when looking for an acc or ign source from components that turn on with acc/ign via LAN, CANBUS, DB, etc, you won't be able to find it on the harness like typical 12 volt sources.

thats why for small stuff, remote turn on leads, radar detectors. I use the fuse taps. Makes it much easier to find a switched fuse with a test light than guessing at wires under the dash....

OP
OP
Anthony

Anthony

2004 Tahoe LT (MA)
Reaction score
thats why for small stuff, remote turn on leads, radar detectors. I use the fuse taps. Makes it much easier to find a switched fuse with a test light than guessing at wires under the dash....
where do you buy these and how do you test which ones you can use?

ItsAdam1

Master Fabricator
Reaction score
I usually get them at autozone the minis are a bit harder to find but they are there.
I usually just take a test light and for example the radio circuit is switched but to double check touch the test light to the top of the fuse. if you look real close there is a little metal part on either side and they will tell you if its got power.
20305f-outlined.jpg
Now with the car on if it lights up it maybe be switch. When you shut off the power it shouldn't light up if it dose then it isn't switched it constant.

OP
OP
Anthony

Anthony

2004 Tahoe LT (MA)
Reaction score
Hey Jk,
What would advise the limit be on a wire to be spiced into. On that pink wire I have ****** 9500-ix and 4 LEDs for the cup holder. Would I be ok to put a Garmin Hardwire on it too? Or should I find another wire?
If so, What wire should I use?

JKmotorsports

Rollin the boosted grocery-getter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey Jk,
What would advise the limit be on a wire to be spiced into. On that pink wire I have ****** 9500-ix and 4 LEDs for the cup holder. Would I be ok to put a Garmin Hardwire on it too? Or should I find another wire?
If so, What wire should I use?

I wouldn't run too much off that single wire. You can wire in a relay to control all your acc. With what you have, you should be okay since all those components together don't draw much current. If you add more, I'd use a relay;
contact #30 fused to high current +12vdc (batt or main power wire going into fuse box), 87 to your accessories, 85 to gnd, and 86 to ign wire or acc wire.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo