Power side mirror help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

geodavky

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Passenger side power mirror will adjust left to right but not up and down. All other functions on drivers side work. Can hear the motor wirring in the micror when I try to adjust.
Have folded mirrors in and out, but that didn't help. Also does not go down when car put in reverse.
Could the mirror have become detached?

papaman

Reaction score
same thing happened on my dl3's. turns out the mirror motor went bad. not tough to replace, but if i recall correctly the part was about $100.

OP
OP
G

geodavky

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
same thing happened on my dl3's. turns out the mirror motor went bad. not tough to replace, but if i recall correctly the part was about $100.
Since it moves side to side, but not up and down could the motor still be bad?

OP
OP
G

geodavky

TYF Newbie
Reaction score

Also where can I find instructions on taking the mirror apart?

papaman

Reaction score
i can't find the original post i followed to disassemble mine, but here's how i did it. *use at your own risk*

with the truck off, press the bottom of the mirror all the way in with your thumbs so the top sticks out.
pry the mirror upwards and it should pop off.
i used a sturdy plastic putty knife and pried it up between the bottom of the mirror and the mirror housing.
i believe there are wires connected individually and directly to tabs on the back of the mirror.
take a picture so you remember how to reconnect.
i believe they are color coded too.
the mirror motor is what the mirror attaches to, and there will be 4 tor-x (or whatever the star shaped head is called) screws holding it in, and it has a round housing with many circular holes in it.
once the motor is unscrewed, disconnect the harness connected to the motor.

i had to do this to my truck over a year ago. it would move left and right with no issue. the up and down would either be excruciatingly slow, or wouldn't move at all. issue was resolved when i replaced the motor.

Laing37

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
is this motor the same one that controls the whole mirror assembly folding in and out? im having problems with passenger mirror folding in, same thing i can hear the motor doing something and it will move up down side to side just want fold. posted a thread the other day and havent got any thing helpful

papaman

Reaction score
no, the motor that controls the power folding is a different motor in the dl3's. the mirror motor is replaceable, and the part costs ~$100. the power folding motor is non-serviceable. if your power folding motor goes out you have to replace the entire mirror assembly, and that whole unit is ~$500.

sbrown02

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
no, the motor that controls the power folding is a different motor in the dl3's. the mirror motor is replaceable, and the part costs ~$100. the power folding motor is non-serviceable. if your power folding motor goes out you have to replace the entire mirror assembly, and that whole unit is ~$500.

My Yukon XL Denali side passenger mirror also will not fold in and out now. And helping it along while the motor is engaged doesn't fix the problem. The post above said it costs $500 for the entire mirror assembly. I found this (see link below) for much less (about $145), are they the same thing? Hard to believe a mirror assembly would be $500.

Thanks

http://www.1aauto.com/mirror-passenger-side-paint-to-match/i/1amre02530?f=694391&y=2007