Power Mirrors out of sync

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sdaniels32

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
First, I've got a 2005 Yukon XL. It's got the power folding side view mirrors. I use that function all the time when entering my garage due to a tight fit. It's also got them memory seats/mirror, which I think might be part of the problem below.

Recently I hit a pole and destroyed my passenger side view mirror. I ordered a replacement on Amazon that was very light on instructions (none were provided). Recently I installed the mirror and it's now out of sync with the drivers side mirror. (i.e., when the drivers side is extended, the passenger side it retracted). If I retract the mirrors, the passengers side extends out. If I extend the mirrors, the passengers side retracts.

I've played around with unplugging the "new" mirror when it's in the extended position. I then put the drivers mirror into the extended position so that they appear to be in sync. But, as soon as I plug back in the passenger's side mirror it immediately moves to the opposite position. It's seems to be storing the position in memory.

I've looked at the fuse panel, but I cannot see anything that points me to the power mirrors. Is there a way to "reset" the mirrors so they get back into sync? I'm thinking about disconnecting the battery all together, but I'm not sure if that's going to work or not.

Thanks for any help or suggestions!

afpj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The best solution is to hook up a tech2 and look at the communication/BCM to the mirrors. I don't own one so I couldn't tell you what section within the menu but expect it to be a BCM function. Otherwise just to clarify there are fuses in the engine bay as well as the driver side dash side panel. Since mine is a 2002, I don't know if it was even an option then but I don't think I have a space for that. May be combined with mirror heat just a wild guess.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First, I've got a 2005 Yukon XL. It's got the power folding side view mirrors. I use that function all the time when entering my garage due to a tight fit. It's also got them memory seats/mirror, which I think might be part of the problem below.

Recently I hit a pole and destroyed my passenger side view mirror. I ordered a replacement on Amazon that was very light on instructions (none were provided). Recently I installed the mirror and it's now out of sync with the drivers side mirror. (i.e., when the drivers side is extended, the passenger side it retracted). If I retract the mirrors, the passengers side extends out. If I extend the mirrors, the passengers side retracts.

I've played around with unplugging the "new" mirror when it's in the extended position. I then put the drivers mirror into the extended position so that they appear to be in sync. But, as soon as I plug back in the passenger's side mirror it immediately moves to the opposite position. It's seems to be storing the position in memory.

I've looked at the fuse panel, but I cannot see anything that points me to the power mirrors. Is there a way to "reset" the mirrors so they get back into sync? I'm thinking about disconnecting the battery all together, but I'm not sure if that's going to work or not.

Thanks for any help or suggestions!

I think whoever assembled the mirror crossed the wires on the electric motor, take it apart, test and then switch pole positions. They're just little RC type 130 motors.

Donal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I recently replaced the passenger side assembly and I disabled the auto functions and manually exercised the mirrow in the four directions and returned both mirrows to the correct positon for forward use and then slected function to change positions for reverse directions. I do not use the complete fold in function.
edit

Select "settings." then "mirror," to see all the options. If you deselect all automatic mirror functions, you can use the toggle button to test the function of each mirror, in, out, up, down. If the new mirror is wired incorrectly, you will notice the function is reversed from the toggle button arrows.

Last edited:

S33k3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There's at least one auto function for the mirrors to angle slightly downward to better see curbs. With auto functions turned off, he manually synchronized his mirrors. Hope that helps.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
sounds to me like the wires are backwards/reversed for the mirror motor, just food for thought I could be wrong

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
did we find a resolution to this? I’m having the same problem. I even bought a new driverside mirror to no avail
When you mention buying a new mirror... Are you telling us the old mirror was doing the opposite of the button commands?
If so, is there any indication the old mirror was factory original or was maybe a replacement?

If you have Tech 2 scanner there are tests available that would allow you to see exactly what is going on...
If you don't have one, the $300 cost is well worth being able to run through tests like these.
You can do a lot without even cracking panels open or even getting tools out.

Here are the menu paths:
Mirror Down – Body > Left Door Control Module > Special Functions > Output Control > Mirror Test
Mirror Down – Body > Right Door Control Module > Special Functions > Output Control > Mirror Test
Mirror Left – Body > Left Door Control Module > Special Functions > Output Control > Mirror Test
Mirror Left – Body > Right Door Control Module > Special Functions > Output Control > Mirror Test
Mirror Left/Right – Body > Door Module(s) > Driver Door Module > Special Functions > Output Control > Mirror Test
Mirror Left/Right – Body > Door Module(s) > Passenger Door Module > Special Functions > Output Control > Mirror Test
Mirror Left/Right – Body > Driver Door Module > Special Functions > Output Control
Mirror Left/Right – Body > Passenger Door Module > Special Functions > Output Control
Mirror Left/Right – Engine > Engine Electrical > Special Functions > DDM
Mirror Left/Right – Engine > Engine Electrical > Special Functions > Driver Door Module
Mirror Right – Body > Left Door Control Module > Special Functions > Output Control > Mirror Test
Mirror Right – Body > Right Door Control Module > Special Functions > Output Control > Mirror Test
Mirror Test – Body > Door Module(s) > Driver Door Module > Special Functions > Output Control
Mirror Test – Body > Door Module(s) > Passenger Door Module > Special Functions > Output Control
Mirror Test – Body > Left Door Control Module > Special Functions > Output Control
Mirror Test – Body > Right Door Control Module > Special Functions > Output Control
Mirror Up – Body > Left Door Control Module > Special Functions > Output Control > Mirror Test
Mirror Up – Body > Right Door Control Module > Special Functions > Output Control > Mirror Test
Mirror Up/Down – Body > Door Module(s) > Driver Door Module > Special Functions > Output Control > Mirror Test
Mirror Up/Down – Body > Door Module(s) > Passenger Door Module > Special Functions > Output Control > Mirror Test
Mirror Up/Down – Body > Driver Door Module > Special Functions > Output Control
Mirror Up/Down – Body > Passenger Door Module > Special Functions > Output Control
Mirror Up/Down – Engine > Engine Electrical > Special Functions > DDM
Mirror Up/Down – Engine > Engine Electrical > Special Functions > Driver Door Module

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kylesimmons