Power assist steps - grip

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Leevon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had our '23 AT4 less than 12 hours and both my wife and daughter rode the power assist steps all the way to the ground lol. Man are these things slick when wet! Has anyone found a good solution to get some grip on the surface? I'm considering tread tape or judiciously applied bedliner.

We do like her! Far better ride quality than our '17 Tahoe.

IMG_3536.jpg

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As an opinion, you need to train yourself to step up on to these to get in and out… not come at them at an angle in or out. I’ve had them 2 years and never slipped on them once.
I step up and in and on them flat to get out. I agree that they are a potentially Slippery composition though….

OP
OP
Leevon

Leevon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh I hear ya, some people think about these things some don't. I would hate for it to happen to a friend or mother-in-law etc. Just trying to help my girls...daughter is bruised up 1/2 her spine and her whole forearm. Yes we laughed, nobody is mad. But it's annoying and uneccesary. The steps on my Trail Boss are the opposite, catch your calf on those bad boys and you're going to lose some skin! There should be a happy medium. I'll report back with my solution.

Blackcar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have put cleaner (Back to Black, armorial,etc) treatment on them before and they are slick just wondering if dealer when getting ready for delivery they put some kind of treatment on step. You might try using fantastic or something like that to clean if there is something on step and see if that helps. The steps on my 17 aren't slick.

TollKeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Grip tape?

ColeBlooded

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I slipped on mine a couple times. Gotta make sure your foot is flat and not hanging off the side.

Boatguy

Reaction score
I’ve never slipped on mine except after I treated it with Back To Black. Like a previous poster said: maybe the dealer put something on.

I went from a mid size SUV to a Yukon. There is a learning curve to using that step.

rico387

Reaction score
Had our '23 AT4 less than 12 hours and both my wife and daughter rode the power assist steps all the way to the ground lol. Man are these things slick when wet! Has anyone found a good solution to get some grip on the surface? I'm considering tread tape or judiciously applied bedliner.

View attachment 390452

View attachment 390452
Have the tread area sprayed with bed liner. It will be a better non skid surface.

PaulGA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Haven't had an issue with the Yukon yet, my mom routinely needs them to get into the back or passenger seat and surprisingly hasn't slipped.

My old 2020 Sierra HD Denali steps where chrome with little strips of grip, and our feet always instinctively/intuitively stepped on the chrome parts and constantly slipped and always tracked mud and scratches. We were contemplating putting the grip tape on or replacing them with the OEM matte black steps. Wound up trading it in for the Yukon Denali before doing anything.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juju14