Potential buyer. In need of answer to make an educated decision.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dsmwookie

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I currently own a 2000 Z71 and it has been a great truck. It has the 5.3 and I ve used it primarily to tow my car around to some races and just a general truck. It sits parked or my wife uses it to commute about 7 minutes to work. With that being said we've been considering a Dodge Megacab with a Cummins or a larger SUV.

A Yukon/Suburban has a nice appeal due to being able to seat 6+ comfortably. Ultimately the room and luxury offered in these vehicles is superior to the Dodge. It only rivals in fuel economy and pulling power. Fuel economy is important for me. I have no intentions of modding the vehicle unless it is for better mileage or power/mileage. This is not a racetruck/offroad utility vehicle for me. It hauls the toys/friends/kiddos/etc...

The 5.3 was a great motor and pulled my trailer/car just fine. I ve been considering the 6.0 and picking up a Yukon Denali due to style, extra pulling power, and in the long run it leaves the possibility of doing a Duramax swap in if so desired. What are all of you 6.0L guys actually receiving for mileage? Is the Duramax swap a pretty straight forward affair? Any good write-ups on it? I m not mechanically scared as my latter option was an Excursion/Cummins swap, but that seemed to in depth and the Excursion just seemed to be to much of a flaming turd. Are all the Denalis 6.0L, AWD, and on a 2500 Chassis?

What about make and model differences? Is the Suburban just the Chevrolet version of the GMC? What does the XL feature really get me? Third row seating is very important, does the cabin space change with this option or just the cargo area in the rear? Do the Suburbans come with a 6.0?

Ill chime in if I think of more, but I really want to educate myself on what I am looking for and make sure this is the right choice. I was pretty set on the Megacab, but the amenities seem to be overwhelming with this vehicle and I was so pleased with my GM that I wanted to consider this as an option. Thanks guys and happy trucking!

TheFuzz

Idiot Police
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The differences between the Yukon and Yukon XL are the same as the Tahoe vs Suburban. Yukon is short wheelbase, XL is long wheelbase. Cabin space remains the same, the extra length is in the cargo area. Options vary between them but pretty much the only differences are engines, interior type (cloth vs leather, etc), and creature comforts like DVD players, seat heaters, etc. The GMC line in generally considered the "up-market" version of the Chevy line, all else being equal. The GMC Denali line is the top of the line, with the nicest interior and options. The standard engine for the regular 1500-series trucks was the 4.8 or 5.3 vortec. All Denalis, however, have the AWD transfer case and the 6.0 motor. I don't think any of the regular 1500 Chevys or GMC's came with the 6.0 - just the Denalis got it, and likewise I don't think any Denalis came with anything but the 6.0.

There is also the Suburban 2500 and Yukon XL 2500, which are on the 3/4 ton platform, but I don't think they ever produced a Yukon XL Denali 2500. I've been looking for a 2500 to replace my '02 and they are hard to find locally, and rare among a sea of 1500s...and I've never seen a Denali 2500. The differences between the 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton models are minimal in the cabin and exterior, but pretty significant under the skin. Different drivetrain, engines, beefed up suspension and axles. Engine options were 6.0 or 8.1 vortecs. If you are planning a Duramax swap, I'd definitely get a 2500 base truck. It will handle the power and the added weight of the diesel much, much better.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

dsmwookie

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
That makes a lot more sense.

Do any detailed write-ups exist in order to better weigh which motor would be best for the Duramax swap. My understanding is that a 8.1 is almost a drop in affair, but I want to know how much more difficult it is if I start with a 6.0. The 8.1's fuel economy is just to poor for me to consider.

TheFuzz

Idiot Police
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Honestly I don't know the motor mount differences between the 6.0 and 8.1, but really it's all a moot point because the SUV's were never designed to have the diesels drop in, and the duramax mounts are all different anyway. When it's done though, if done right, it can look completely OEM. Check out DuraBurbInc on Youtube. Great looking trucks.

I'd love to ship a 2500 Suburban off to them if I had the money.

OP
OP
D

dsmwookie

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Honestly I don't know the motor mount differences between the 6.0 and 8.1, but really it's all a moot point because the SUV's were never designed to have the diesels drop in, and the duramax mounts are all different anyway. When it's done though, if done right, it can look completely OEM. Check out DuraBurbInc on Youtube. Great looking trucks.

I'd love to ship a 2500 Suburban off to them if I had the money.

One of my friends said the 8.1 mounts up, but he could be full of shit :)

I ve seen the Duraburb stuff and it is nice! Fortunately for me I am quite capable of doing it myself. If it is to complicated I would just as simply slap a Cummins in it and go about my day. The Duramax was appealing due to my friend saying it was not a complicated affair. I just realized the Escalades are the same chassis as well.

M3PO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't think a diesel swap is easy, it can be done, but there is lots to it.
If you are planning on towing cars and other heavy loads, I would get the diesel or the 6.0 and the Suburban or the XL.
My 2006 6.0 Denali is a little thirsty in the city but tows well too. In the winter time on short trips (before the motor is warmed up) I can get as poor as 10, but that is very short trips. If I drive 60-65 and no wind, no stops, I can get as good as 17 on the highway.
I tow a small 5X8 (I think thats the size??) trailer with a 4wheeler, in the truck two large dogs, and lots of gear for all us and other misc crap my buddy asks me to bring down to his property. I get 14.5-15.5 if I am doing 70 and don't gun it up the Ozark hills. On the way back I was doing 80 in to a strong wind and got 12.5 :emotions122:

No way to prove it, but in my mind a heavier truck burns more unloaded and less than a smaller one would loaded. My 2002 Z71 could tow, but I was getting 10-12 with two motorcycles.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fishcop076