Poor Backup Camera

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

R32driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the rear camera looks good until it gets the slightest bit of water, dirt or dust on it then it just becomes a blur. For me that's about 90% of the time here in the rainy PNW. I mostly just stick with what's worked my whole life so far and that's using the good ole side mirrors. The rear cam is good in some situations but most the time it pretty much sucks

OP
OP
Danimalx87

Danimalx87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think it's more with the refresh rate of the infotainment screen vs the mirror screen. Just watching people walk behind the truck on both screens and it's like watching 10fps vs 60 fps. For those with "good" cameras, could you please try this test: put it in reverse or open the rear camera, then have someone wave their hand in front of the lenses. See if the motion is as smooth on the backup camera as it is on the rear-view mirror.

OP
OP
Danimalx87

Danimalx87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No, I think the problem is the low refresh rate on the infotainment screen. I don't know why in a 6 figure truck they couldn't put a little nicer screen in... I have 2 in the middle row that are useless for us, would have happily removed them to get a nicer head unit instead.

Pro299

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is it only the backup camera you think is bad? Front view? 360? My info screen is very clear and smooth. Only problem is when rain gets on a camera lens, but that's just physics.

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I personally think this vehicle has the best camera system I've ever had in a vehicle....Maybe I haven't lived much..!

OP
OP
Danimalx87

Danimalx87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the surround, but it's the refresh rate on the screen that sucks. It's painfully obvious when it's cold out, and you can see the exhaust on both the rear screen and rear mirror. Can you post videos on here or just images? I'm going to ask the dealer about it when I come in for the first service interval, but I suspect that I just have too high of expectations...

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the surround, but it's the refresh rate on the screen that sucks. It's painfully obvious when it's cold out, and you can see the exhaust on both the rear screen and rear mirror. Can you post videos on here or just images? I'm going to ask the dealer about it when I come in for the first service interval, but I suspect that I just have too high of expectations...
Will have to pay more attention I suppose...I find mine to be crystal clear, and sharp as can be, and smooth...but one thing...I hardly ever run the rear camera mirror...perhaps when that is enabled, the frame rate of the backup cam is reduced?