Police roof top antenna question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jkssv08tahoe

Reaction score
Hi everyone. Can the Antenna on the roof top be used for regular radio? I have my radio Antenna in back window and reception is really bad. I was wondering if I could put a Am/Fm Radio Antenna on the roof top.

Also where do the Antenna wires ends usually tend to end in the cab? Thank you.

20190414_104152.jpg

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
Won’t know til you try. I’d do it. Make sure you complete a good connection. eBay has adapters for almost everything if you can correctly identify the harness connections.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GranPrix

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you'd have to pull your liner to see if they left the cables there. Those would be coax cables

Ilikemtb999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those are NMO antenna mounts, if the coax is still there they should make a coax to what I think was called a Motorola male plug (part that goes into the head unit) but it’s been a while. Either way they make what you need and a new NMO mount with a cable already attached wouldn’t be hard to install if the ones you have are damaged.

RST Dana

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Roof antennas used by police are designed for trunked, UHF or VHF radios. None of which are anything close to XM or FM. However, you might possibly get a signal increase to your radio with it vs not having any other cable attached.

trailblazer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You could do this if you bought a 6-meter (50Mhz) NMO mount antenna (52” long!) and trimmed it shorter to accommodate the 88-108Mhz band. About $25 for the antenna and you’d have to do some simple math to determine how much of the antenna you’d have to trim off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

iLikeEggs

Potato!
Reaction score
Is the rear window antenna connected? It's possible that the upfitters might have cut or disconnected it when they were wiring strobes and antennas.