Peeling clear coat

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Idriveaho

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So who has a good diy method of dealing with this. Noticed my hood is doing it and some spots on the roof. Not happy about it. Previous owner I don’t think did much for this than get the basic washes. So many swirl marks and scratches in the black paint.

WTSHARK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been posting about this issue in another thread, started by someone else having issues with their clear coat. Here's the other thread: https://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/threads/hood-paint-issue.114649/page-3#post-1419883

Sadly, it's a common issues with GM Trucks/SUV's. My 2015 Yukon XL, began showing signs of failing clear coat back in November, literally "overnight". Without boring you with all of the details, (fighting with one dealer, complaining to GM's customer service, being told "tough, etc.) I am bringing it to the dealer I purchased it new from tomorrow and I will be paying around 50% (900.00) to have the paint fixed on the hood and roof. My Yukon has less than 14k miles on it, is parked in a covered parking space (old RV parking) was washed two times a month and waxed every 3-6 months. This truck is driven about 2800 miles a year and is a perfect example of it doesn't really matter how you care for them, some paints are just going to fail. There were a number of suggestions about rattle can treatments, Plasti-dip and other "quick fixes", but I haven't tried any of them. From my experiences, the only method that will ensure this will not happen again is to strip the paint down to metal, recondition the metal, re-prime, paint and clear. Having said that, you can try color sanding, re-clearing, and other methods. Maybe it will work, maybe only a short while before doing it again. It's up to you and what you're willing to spend. I hope someone suggests a simple DIY trick for you that works.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
2008 Denali XL here. Purchased in '14 and like yours, literally overnight, it was peeling like a sunburnt hairless cat in 2018. I was patient and waited for the inevitable, a minor traffic collision. I paid $600 to have the clear redone on the hood when my door was repainted. It didn't work, the hood kept peeling. The shop resprayed the entire hood after that for no additional charge. It was PPG paint.

On a 07, 08 or 09 w/ a 6.2L, you're more likely to recoup the cost of having the roof and hood respayed. GM got it right with no AFM on the 6.2L til 09. 250K on those drivelines is not uncommon. As far as the roof, I had only the front portion around the windshield and sunroof resprayed for $350. The entire roof would of been at least one large here in Cali. Beware of letting the clear go unchecked on the roof. There is a point of no return where you'll rust through and mold will start in the headliner. Obviously, in a heavy rain state, with snow and salt, it would happen faster than a garaged truck in AZ or SoCal.

IMHO bite the bullet and get it done regardless. Make a friend at an auto body shop or local high school / college that teaches body work. With time on your side it's something that can be done on a cash deal for a grand or less here in Cali. It would be even less if you're truck was in for other body work like an insurance claim. Plan, plan, plan and be ready to bite the bullet when the time is right.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AT4Hunter